Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaned Coin - 1793 Chain Cent - Before And After

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 2,933Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
748 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  12:54 am Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1762 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  03:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An amazing restoration. VerdiCare?

By the way, It appears to be an S-3 variety.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20610 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Who said:- 'Don't clean coins !'
Qualification:
You have to know what you are doing and still be prepared to take a risk. That is what museums do, especially with ancient coins, almost all of which need cleaning after recovery, usually from in ground burial.

If you don't know about how to clean coins
Don't clean coins !

The OP has learned how, probably the hard way.
This effort successful. Obverse a lot more obvious.

With the verdigris displayed on this coin, it needed rescuing, the sooner the better.
Edited by sel_69l
08/25/2022 03:44 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9259 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  05:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say well done.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10688 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice outcome, good work.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75227 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super restoration indeed. Please tell us more.

to the CCF!
Rest in Peace
United States
10625 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
120847 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5845 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's looks awesome! Such an amazing piece of history, and you've cleaned it up quite nicely. Well done!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Pillar of the Community
United States
748 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  11:04 am  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
first I gotta yell this at everyone - DO NOT CLEAN COINS - there is a very high chance you will damage them.

this coin is an S-3. I bought it to restore/preserve/clean. I later sold the coin.

i have spent a lot of time learning how to remove problem spots from copper coins. that green stuff is progressive/active and will continue to eat the surface. That brick red is considered a death sentence by most advanced copper collectors, and rightly so. its nasty and very challenging to remove without damaging the underlying metal. I believe we are stewards of these pieces of history and we should do everything we can to help them survive. if that stuff isn't removed there wont be a coin to preserve for much longer.

i spent the better part of a decade buying really junky coppers and trying different things on them. ive damaged quite a few coins in the process of learning how to do this. culls are some of my favorite large cents. I think they are a ton of fun to play with.

for this coin I used xylene, soap, water, olive oil, and some manual tools. I work under a stereo microscope. this took roughly 40 hours.
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2566 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  11:16 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful work, thanks for sharing!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is cleaning with a lot of love!
Rest in Peace
United States
10625 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice results from your effort.

Have you left any sort of protective film on it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
748 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i use blue ribbon. I forgot to mention that one.

for what its worth I think blue ribbon is over rated. I am lucky to own ~20 bottles from back when you could still buy it. I would imagine that mineral oil would work similarly. one of these days ill explore other options. blue ribbon is selling for stupid money these days.
Pillar of the Community
United States
723 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
good conservation work!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9259 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I work under a stereo microscope. this took roughly 40 hours.

That is indeed a labor of love!
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 2,933Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: