Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Building A Storage Box For Slabbed Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 549Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
169 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  11:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Afternoon all,

One of my friends that works alongside me is a craftsman and is very skilled at woodworking. He has recently finished making his own chessboard/table/pieces, which I might add are quite phenomenal.

I mentioned to him about making me a storage box for slabbed coins recently and we've been discussing it at length. I know I can get one of those off the shelf boxes etc, but I wanted something that had a certain 'specialness' about it, like a one of a kind.

I have done a little research into woods used in coin cabinets etc, and it seems that the overwhelming choice is Mahogany due to fact that it doesn't release gasses(?) which could affect the coins. According to my friend, Mahogany is now on the CITES list which means that getting any would be more difficult than before. So he has suggested re-purposing wood from some old, unwanted Mahogany furniture from somewhere.

So my question is really this, if coins are slabbed, would the choice of wood have any bearing on the well being of the coins? I think I read that slabs from NGC and PCGS are sonically sealed but not airtight, so is there the possibility that the coins could be affected if a different type of wood such as Oak was used, however remote that possibility may be?

Sorry if in the wrong forum, so please move it mods if necessary.

Much obliged.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9183 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  11:26 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny you mention that, I was just looking at this site last night and thinking of making an order soon as the shop is not far from my home.

http://cabinetsbycraig.net/

He is an EAC and C4 member and a talented woodworker. You might get some ideas from his site of just order if the price is better. The hard part would be the forstner bit drill work and cutting out all the holes, knowing the safest adhesives and finishes to use for the fabric with coins.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), Civil War Token Society (CWTS), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member in good standing, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United Kingdom
169 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Westcoin.

I've just had a quick look before tea, and his cabinets looks lovely.
Learn More...
United States
26041 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2022  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@west, I think your comment is right on the mark with regard to the selection of the adhesive and finish being more important than the wood itself. With that said, I'm no wood-worker, so maybe I'm inappropriately minimizing that risk.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Canada
54 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2022  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JadeDragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How big a box are you thinking of making? Do you want the slabs separated?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
595 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2022  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, westcoin, those cabinetsbycraig are fantastic!!!
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9128 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2022  06:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would advise staying away from any only woods such as cocobolo, rosewood etc. Mahogany is obviously the traditional choice but becoming more difficult to obtain from sustainable choices.

@ westcoin - those cabinets look great. As a professional woodworker myself I can appreciate the effort it takes to build them and am surprised by the relatively low price.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4650 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2022  06:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This really harkens back to the traditional era of coin collecting, when things seemed to be much simpler...
Pillar of the Community
United States
9183 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2022  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just ran across a whole bunch of coin cabinets up for auction, unfortunately they are all in the United Kingdom, so shipping would be exorbitant making them cost way more than they are worth. All are used and have slight flaws such as felt missing or pulling up, minor warped doors missing minor hardware, etc., nothing that couldn't be fixed rather easily with a bit of work and ingenuity. Seems like the main area of use was in Europe and from the Victorian era through the 1970 and 80's, now days I think more collectors choose flips and boxes due to size and space limitations as well as security both from the elements and thieves

Definitely from an era of traditional collecting times much simpler and prices more accessible to all.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), Civil War Token Society (CWTS), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member in good standing, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20586 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2022  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard plastic storage boxes specifically for slabs are available from numismatic supplies businesses.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 549Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: