Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 P Kennedy Half Dollar Broad Struck Or Something Else?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 285Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1913 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  6:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add arby96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone, Please check out this 1973 P Kennedy half dollar. Is this a broad struck Half Dollar or something else going on. I have seen where the reeding has been filed down between the obverse and reverse. This is the first time I have seen what appears to be a lip over hang on the obverse side of this coin. I know its nothing major its most likely common. Please let me know what might have caused this issue. I measured the diameter and the largest measurement is 31.01MM. It should measure 30.61MM. The last photo is the Half dollar lying face down flat. Thanks for taking a look.

"LOVE THE HUNT!"
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16251 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a partial collar strike
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1787 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
partial collar.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to see better photos of the edges before I agree it's a partial collar error.

A couple of the photos appear to show cladding sticking out over the copper core from both the obverse and reverse of the coin (and I mean appear to show because I just can't be sure). What causes me concern is the pitting all over the clad surface, particularly strong near the rim. It looks to be so strong that it's eaten through the cladding completely in many small spots.

Is it possible this is just been exposed to a caustic agent that's eaten the copper on the edge?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11022 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46485 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Leaning towards PCS,but what about a former Encased Coin
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59536 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need to see images of the outer edge of the reeds. It does appear to look altered on that area. (Like a partial collar)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11022 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Leaning towards PCS, but what about a former Encased Coin
John1

don't think it was encased because the un-reeded portion of the edge extends beyond the reeded (or collared area.) If it were encased, I would think that the un-reeded are would be inside.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1913 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arby96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few more photos of the reeding and edges. The photos references are 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 6o'clock, and 9 o'clock. Hope this helps.
12 o'clock

3 o'clock

6 o'clock

9 o'clock

Obverse Edges
12 o'clock

3 o'clock

6 o'clock

9 o'clock

Reverse Edge Photos
12 o'clock

3 o'clock

6 o'clock

9 o'clock

Question, if the reeding has been altered wouldn't the entire coin still be the proper in diameter 30.61MM. The largest part of the coin measures 31.01 in diameter

So I took three measurements with a digital caliper here are the results.

Caliper Measurement at 12:30 30.69mm at 9:15 30.58MM. and at 10:20 31.01MM

Also if any of you have personal photos of coins you have found with partial collars, please post them so we can see others to help us recognize them when we find them. Thanks
"LOVE THE HUNT!"
Edited by arby96
09/22/2022 2:03 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11022 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if the collar didn't deploy properly, it would not contain the coin and properly form the reeded edge. I'm not that surprised that it is out of round due to this.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the photo update. Very well taken.

I agree that the new photos clearly show a tilted partial collar error.

As to the diameter question, are your diameter measurements just from reeds to reeds, or from reeds to the extra little bit that stands up from the reeds?

If the latter, your measurements will show the coin as slightly larger than normal due to the collar not restraining that portion of the coin when it was struck, so it extruded slightly from the pressure of the strike.

Nice find!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 285Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: