Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2005-P Minnesota "Strong" Extra Tree Error Quarter Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 264Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  1:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dozerdog2929 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been error searching off and on for a few years and I found a State Quarter error that I had been hoping to while sitting in my truck on lunch break. The error appears to be very prominent based on other examples I have found and My question is, based on the shape of the coin, Would it be worth it for me to send in to get professionally graded? Any idea what it would grade if any? Is there still a market for this error coin in particular? I will probably end up keeping it because I think it's cool that I finally found one, but was curious as to if they are still sought after. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
46623 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My question is, based on the shape of the coin, Would it be worth it for me to send in to get professionally graded? Any idea what it would grade if any? Is there still a market for this error coin in particular? I

Hi, yes there is certainly a market for these types of varieties and errors. There are actually a number of different 'extra tree' varieties that can be found on this coin, with slight differences in values so you can try to match it up to see which you found. Some are listed in the book Strike It Rich with pocket change 5th edition, others (since there are many) are found in a free online guide here https://www.doubleddie.com/179422.html and also here https://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles...DRImages.htm Many I see are around 3-15 circulated and uncirculated 20-35, but a few top condition examples (not circulated) have even sold in the hundreds so usually people might grade a top condition uncirculated one while selling it ungraded or just keeping it when circulated for general info. High quality uncirculated are found in places like mint sets, rolls bought from the mint, and occasionally mint sewn bags (as they tend to clank coins together a bit more). Fun finds as most people never check their quarters for these types of varieties.
Edited by datadragon
09/22/2022 7:39 pm
Learn More...
United States
116424 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8428 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Just remember it's generally said on this forum that unless a coin is worth 150.00, it's not worth sending in to get graded b/c of the costs.

Also, you will need to find out from the company you choose whther or not they even attribute your specific coin with this specific error. Companies do not just automatically look for errors and place it n the label. People have to identify the error, pay more money for the attribution service, and then the company (will try to) verify it as being that specific error.

Also recognize you may or may not get what you pay for since the companies are primarily about GRADING and do not have a good track record for attributing varieties. See the essay in my signature for an eye opening reality on the rookie level PCGS has concerning the Kennedy half dollar attribution of No FG (all data from their website and linked).
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good points @Earle42. Both PCGS and Anacs will attribute this error on their label. For PCGS scroll down to 2005-P Minnesota Extra Tree https://www.PCGS.com/prices/detail/.../most-active and you can click the + on the left to expand the list as there are a lot of them (which is only why I didnt search right away for which it was since I'm busy at the moment but shouldnt take long). As to value its mainly dependent on condition which others can chime in on, and based on those listed values and which one it is, grading mainly when condition is in the higher mint states generally as suggested but it just depends on the total cost of grading fees which may vary when you submit many coins at once which lowers the per coin amount such as for the shipping vs the total potential value after grading. Others like grading just to have it in a holder or for their own personal collection when its a persona find regardless of value...
Edited by datadragon
09/22/2022 6:02 pm
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2022  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hobbs9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, people are paying that for minor die chips? Are error dealers interested in purchasing them? It's not like these are like the extra leaf WI quarters
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59678 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are not die chips. It is part of a DDR. One of many that year:
http://doubleddie.com/179422.html

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Hobbs9, Die chips can also sell but these are not die chips as mentioned (and in the link I posted and was reposted by Coop). We see die chips a lot, some given the nickname of Drooling George and there was a big one on the 2021 quarter hat as another off the top of my head. Some of these types of die chips can become popular and at least initially due to demand start to sell, but if they are commonly found since die chips can be quite common and listed then too much available supply eventually lowers the price. So finding them early on is one way to benefit. Normally die chips arent of much added value unless they do something interesting to the design for example. Other die chips like the tiny ones found so common on the 2020s dimes dont really sell well at all because they dont add much interest and so commonly found. Still a nice find in some cases and might hold onto it as who knows how many will be around in the future where demand is still there but supply dries up over time.

Also with the DDR, keep in mind that there are grading fees. Off the top of my head with PCGS its likely 17 for a modern valued under $300 plus $18 for attributing the variety. On top of that there are extra fees like shipping back and forth so normally these get graded with a bunch of other coins at the same time to keep the addon costs of grading split among many coins. So that might be worthwhile if you might possibly have a MS66 with a high sale potential, or otherwise anacs might be attractive, selling 'raw' or just keeping as a cool find for yourself.
Edited by datadragon
09/23/2022 3:15 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 264Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: