Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Have Questions About The 1969 D Lincoln Penny With A Missing FG.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 547Next Topic  
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  02:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Zac09 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So this penny is all over the youtube coin collector worm hole... I purchased a 25 dollar box of pennies and was going to do some coin roll hunting and right on top I find this penny. I need to know why is this penny everywhere and is it really as valuable as the youtubers say? Also I wanted to post better pictures because my digital microscope just came in but I want to use the SD card and I lost my adapter. So I will have to wait to post those until I get another adapter tomorrow.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47464 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  04:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YouTube is not a reliable source. The "missing" FG is just a Grease Filled Die or an over polished die which are simple die events.Thank you for using a SD card in your new scope.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73559 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  07:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say John is correct on this.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17088 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Notice how the posts are also partially missing, that is
caused by an overpolished die.
Do NOT believe everything you read on YouTube.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10027 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with all above.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12322 Posts
Valued Member
United States
474 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1969-d no fg fs-901 p54 strike it rich with pocket change book 5th edition. circulated value 5-7, uncirculated 40-150. high grade can bring 200-350.
look at the 1969d reverse to the right base of the memorial building and no fg (at all). https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...01-rd/415500

Youtube has quite alot of good videos on the subject of coins generally, just keep in mind anyone can put up videos and that because a video has a large number of views or subscribers does not mean its content is 100% accurate in all cases, same even goes for posters who have lots of posts does not necessarily mean they are an expert on first glance, so it just means to double check info when possible until you know which sources are more reliable. Of course as you get more knowledge yourself you will also be able to know which sources tend to be accurate and then use or consider them further. There are also always going to be other peoples opinions which may differ when it comes to varieties and errors so you may want to listen to several sources on what they may have differences on as well in some cases.

You can learn from anything and anyone - web sites, videos, books, community boards like this one and other people but you need to devote a small portion of your time ongoing to learning in order to become good at something.
Edited by datadragon
09/24/2022 11:41 pm
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zac09 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adding photos from microscope as promised.
I see things a bit clearer under microscope only the phone pictures seemed to provide a better color of the coin you can see errors more clearly. people pointed out the initials are slightly visible but you can't quite make them out and the roof is floating. On the bottom of the memorial it looks different on the left from the right and the pillars seem to have a possible error maybe I am not sure.

Edited by Zac09
09/25/2022 12:13 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47464 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The right side of roof is still visible as is the FG. Photos are very good but just a tad out of focus. With a little practice I think you will do well.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
474 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The no FG should show no traces of Gasparro's initials FG, and it appears that you can see the FG on this coin. While absence of the FG initials can be picked up by the naked eye, use of a high-quality 5X or 10X magnifier is ideal, particularly for ruling out what may be a weak FG, which isn't presently a recognized form of this variety.

Some half dollars also have a no FG/no F, a few to start are 1972D NO FG, 1973D NO F, 1977D NO F, 1982P NO FG, 1983P NO FG. Genuine No FG halves will also show weakness in other surrounding features, such as the eagle's wing, stars, etc
Edited by datadragon
09/25/2022 09:35 am
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2022  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ozzy5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin drives me nuts. There are pictures of certified graded versions on very reputable sites that still show partial devices. I'm confident it's nothing more than die polishing or filing that has removed the initials. It is a variety, however I find that a lot of seasoned collector's don't pay much attention to it with the understanding it's just an abraided die. My opinion anyway...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60440 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a polished coin issue. Not a premium for this coin other than copper value. The damage to the coin makes it a cull coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2197 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a floating roof or no int. You can see both. Doesn't matter Not an error or variety. As stated above. Just over polishing. If you want to buy or collect them go ahead. People collect anything and everything.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 547Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: