Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Store Your Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 564Next Topic  
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  05:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Xr8td to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Friends

Hope everyone is well. I had a quick question for this community. How do you store your coins?

I've got mine in a cheap album from ebay but recently I've been thinking a about of there is anything I should be worrying about.specifically the $2 coins that are known to have paint come off over time.

I was think about buying capsules and then putting them in the album however I wasn't sure if there is a special type to get or if it's fine to get the cheapest.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20370 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  05:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Capsules are the best way to protect coins, but if you have mostly other than small coins, when encapsulated, will not fit into a standard album pocket
Capsules are best used for high value coins that require the best protection.

With $2 Aussie coloured coins, the paint is only applied to recessed areas because the intention is for them to stand up to the rigors of circulation.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1375 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Sel 69L.

Are you storing the coins for long term (2+ years)?
Will you be upgrading your coins?
Will you be collecting multiples of the same coin?

Even the dreaded PVC plastic sheaths are fine with the bare coin so long as it is temporary. Also, clean your coloured coins with ethanol, not acetone.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1186 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  06:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How do you store your coins?

Hi Xr8td, being relatively new to the forum you most likely haven't come across it but there is a handy Search box at the top, left hand side of the page.

If you type in something like coin storage you will find lots of previous threads on this topic that have posted over time (just scroll down past the ads).

Hope this is of some help.
Valued Member
China
68 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Later I take a picture.
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Xr8td to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone

Sorry I don't know how to reply directly to someone or use the quote function.

I intend to store for >2 years. Bit of useless back ground I've always randomly collected coins and recently when my daughter was born I decided I wanted to try and collect a set of circulated coins to show her when she's older - who knows how much money will change by then

Because of that the coins will stay in the album for years.

I will look into who to clean with ethanol, I haven't tried that yet.

But yeh in the albums likely won't be upgrading or keeping multiples

Also thanks for telling me about the search function

Thanks everyone
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
1027 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would advise a beginner to buy a good album for coins. Buy a high-quality album for coins (plastic in such albums is hard) use it and over time you will pick up a good storage container for yourself.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1241 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my humble opinion, use CAPS capsules and albums. Costs more, but your coins will have the best protection.
Valued Member
United States
387 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mine go in archival cotton liners, into archival 2X2 envelopes, into double row long boxes. they are stored with desiccant packets and pieces of raw red copper. the copper acts as the canary in the mine shaft and lets me know if there are chemical or moisture related problems in my storage area. if the junk copper stays red the copper coins will be just fine.
i like large cents. I currently have >225 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Learn More...
United States
118500 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sorry I don't know how to reply directly to someone or use the quote function.
How to Quote

If you are using the Quick Reply box...

1. Type [quote]

2. Paste the text you want to quote

3. Then type [/quote]

If you are using the Reply to Topic link...
1. Paste the text you want to quote

2. Highlight it

3. Then press the 'Insert Quote' button:

So this...

[quote]Quoted Text[/quote]

Looks like this...

Quote:
Quoted Text
Ukraine
1 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2022  05:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Malyucov to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Friend
I have not so much big collection. Near 3K coins of the World.
I use 2x2 coin holders (2x2 coin flip) and storage boxes. I had print it on my 3D printer. And has make deviders for separating collection parts in boxes.
Models for print I had use from here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4123890 - boxes. (I like 80)
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4617749 - spacers.

I use Co-PET (PET-G) filament because it`s a same material windows film in coin holders . Mylar - (DuPont trade marck) - polyethylene terephthalate (PET)
Learn More...
United States
118500 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 564Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: