Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Indian Head Mark's- Is This Whizzing? (1903 Cent)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 833Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  04:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add divesww to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Attached is a link of a 1993 Indian Head cent image that I just got.
Can anybody tell me if these are natural marks or some sort of alteration marks such as whizzing?
Thanks

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Bedrock of the Community
United States
48454 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I am not a pro but that looks like natural metal flow lines to me. Let's wait for a pro or two to chime in.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1buff2many to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First to the CCF.
They are natural metal flow lines, they are often seen radiating outward toward the rim of the coin and become more pronounced as the die used for striking deteriorates over time from use. You probably meant 1893 for the date and it is a nice close up picture of the effect.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add divesww to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input. It is a 1903. I'll see is I can post a pic of the whole coin (I'm new).

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75006 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10594 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool flow lines, yes.
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
170 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aref to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous. Love it.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
48454 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a high-grade coin, what does the other side look like?
John1
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add divesww to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all. I'm new to Indian Head collecting. I would never have imagined there was so much to learn. I've bought a few coins off ebay and was worried I'd made a mistake with all the alteration gimmicks out there. Hard to imagine these coins can look so good naturally after 100+ years. John1, I've attached the reverse pic and a more up close pic of the front in case anyone would care to venture a grade estimate and let me know if it's worth slabbing. 1buff2many, why did you think it was a 1893? Some of my other coins have the same type flow lines but none as vivid as these. Maybe that's why its stayed in such nice shape.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
26118 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not whizzed, nice original coin. MS-64RB.
Learn More...
United States
120560 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13697 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i dont slab coins so i'll put that out first. there is really no reason to spend that kind of $$ if you are a collector

most collectors agree in order to justify the costs of slabbing ($40-45 at PCGS or NGC, less for ANACS) the coin should be at least $150

if you are planning on selling the coin then it may be ok to slab it. if you are keeping it just buy some air tights to protect the coin.

i think the coin grades MS64 if the color comes back as RB maybe $120 retail. recently I've seen new folks wanting to immediately slab a coin. if you dont mind answering that I'm always wondering why? is it because you see coins for sale that are slabbed or that you heard they are worth more or?
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add divesww to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Panzaldi and thanks to you and others for your inputs. My interest for slabbing my newly purchased coins is that I'm uncertain as to their value and I would like some affirmation of worth on what I've speculated on. Now that I've found this forum and have access to experts that can provide that affirmation, there is no need to slab them. Is this the right/best forum topic to post coins I'd like grade opinions on?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48454 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is this the right/best forum topic to post coins I'd like grade opinions on?

Depends on coin and date.
John1
Pillar of the Community
Italy
538 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The question of slabbing is interesting; I am a relatively new collector - approx. 2 years - and I have absolutely no interest in slabbing anything. I know this is cliche, but there is something about holding a coin in your hand that's been circulated for 50, 100, 150, 500, 700, etc. years. I don't know. Maybe newer collectors are interested, but I collect what I like and what I find in Rome. ...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13697 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
is something about holding a coin in your hand that's been circulated for 50, 100, 150, 500, 700, etc. years.

and just one reason why I dont slab.

there are two forums for US coinage for grading. this one for classic coins and US Modern Coin Grading for more current issues. look at the description on them when you click "coin forum" link on the left
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 833Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: