Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1857 Flying Eagle Cent- (~85%) Cracked Planchet NGC F15

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 804Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
5838 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  7:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm supposed to be buying FEC's for my registry, but I just couldn't help myself .

I saw this one at a local show months ago and immediately wanted it for my collection. I ended up going back again today and sold some other pieces that more than covered for this coin's cost, so I picked it up.

I only know of one similar crack on a FEC this dramatic and it is a part of The Penny Lady's personal collection:

https://thepennylady.com/coins/1858...-collection/

Major errors like this on FECs are extremely rare, so I'm grateful I had the opportunity to jump on this one. There's actually a second minor crack that runs from AM of AMERICA that I pictured below. Based on my estimate, the large crack runs through nearly 85% of the diameter of the coin! Thanks for taking a look!

-CH27

Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Edited by CoinHunter27
10/03/2022 2:45 pm
Learn More...
United States
25507 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes that is a dramatic flan crack. It is a great pick-up even if it isn't moving toward your primary collecting goal. Well done!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73644 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not for me, but pretty cool for sure!
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nycstlrr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Amazing that it circulated like that.
Valued Member
United States
424 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cool. pretty impressive that it never broke in half.

as an example of the error I like your example better than Charmys. I think its the jagged nature of the crack that I find appealing.
i like large cents. I currently have >225 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1973 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that is an impressive error! Kinda wondering what an error collector might value something like this?

This is similar to my cracked planchet error on a British 1822 farthing I picked up some time ago which I have a thread on that coin here...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2462 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing a crack of that nature. Drop it on solid ground and it surely will break in half!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5838 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone! I'm very pleased with the pickup.

Quote:
Now that is an impressive error! Kinda wondering what an error collector might value something like this?

I paid $250 for this after negotiating it down. IMO, I got a great deal for such a rare and dramatic piece and I could see this being worth a good amount more to another collector. After selling some pieces today to warrant me purchasing this coin, I even walked out with a profit on top of this coin too.

Quote:
I think its the jagged nature of the crack that I find appealing.

I agree! Still thinking of a creative lightning-themed name for it .

Quote:
Amazing that it circulated like that.

Certainly. Incredible it's still in one piece after so much circulation.

Quote:
It is a great pick-up even if it isn't moving toward your primary collecting goal

Sometimes the side road just looks to pretty to continue down the main path
It is still a FEC at least, so I'm not completely going off the rails here!

-CH27
Pillar of the Community
United States
1203 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pick up CH27. How could you resist?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5838 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Great pick up CH27. How could you resist?

That's the fun part: I couldn't!

There will be more common date FEC's out there but I highly doubt I'll ever come across a FEC planchet crack like this again.

Thanks sheldius!

-CH27
Pillar of the Community
United States
2602 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Check robbudo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is really impressive. And you got to keep history in perspective: This was the very first year of (regular issue) small planchets. And boy, did they screw this one up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5838 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks robbudo! A very important year for a very important series, that's for sure! Just a really rare error on a FEC, very grateful to have it. Thanks again!

-CH27
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 804Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: