Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaned Coin - 1813 S-293 - Process Pics

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 739Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  6:40 pm Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
got this one in a lot of cull large cents. I decided to try and take some of the gunk off. I have mixed feelings about the end product. I hoped it would come out nicer. unfortunately some damage is permanent. the pits on the cheek and the lower reverse...

i like large cents. I currently have >225 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73358 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a remarkable restoration, well done!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1967 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, your end result looks AUish details, but still a to me at least... If only this coin could talk...
Learn More...
United States
25422 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes seems likely that this was bronze disease. Consider keeping it in quarantine for a while.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8461 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic restoration.

This coin was rapidly on its way to oblivion, and you saved it for future generations. I say well done indeed.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks everyone. I agree with the AU details assessment. emphasis on the details.

these pics are from a couple years ago. I think it was around 4 months of fiddling with it. I let it sit for a bit to make sure it was reasonably stable. it no longer belongs to me.

the example in my sheldon set is a VG. I decided I liked the problem free lower detail coin over this one. part of why I felt that way is that I have a 1814 S-294 in XF with a big rim dent. I'm happy to have a "look at all the details but ignore that part" classic head but I didnt really want a second one.

here are pics of those two coins. what do you think? what coin would you keep for your collection?

i like large cents. I currently have >225 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1705 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  03:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would love to have an 1814 like the one you show, in spite of the rim dent. A very nice coin.

Learn More...
United States
118320 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This coin was rapidly on its way to oblivion, and you saved it for future generations.

You did an excellent job with the restoration!
Valued Member
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice restoration, I would love to get a classic head with half as much detail left.
I've only been collecting for a couple years (2017). Favorite Coin's are Standing Liberty quarters, Working on my type set: "knowledge is power" -Thomas Jefferson | Coffee, Corvettes, Coins & the CCF what could be better?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2274 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations - nice job.
Member ANA and EAC

"You got to lose to know how to win".
Dream On by Aerosmith
Pillar of the Community
United States
2438 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a pretty good restoration, considering the before product.

Of the worn problem free 1813 and the AU 1814 with the rim dent, I would choose the 1814 with the dent (depending on the price of course!). I would not let the desire of problem-free coins prevent me from that beauty of a non corroded classic head.
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oh, I meant which 1813 would you pick. I mentioned the 1814 because I do already have a high details coin in that series. other than the 1814 all of my classic heads are fine or worse. if I didnt have the 1814 I probably would have kept the high details problem example. it has so much detail!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2438 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would choose the problem free 1813 than the restored 1813.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1264 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
idk...the 13 in AU details looks more appealing to me? Maybe with a final dressing to not make it look so "dry"? idk what that final dressing would be...but something like Blue Ribbon for a final coat to moisten the coin...in it's "dry" state...coin looks too susceptible for future contamination. But what the heck do I know...?
You've done an amazing job showing how to do it! If my hands didn't shake so much...I would love to take the time to try this...but my attempts would probably end up like your 14 with a rim dent because I'd probably drop the first one on the floor : )~
smat
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the final images got hit with a blue ribbon treatment. I do a couple other things to build up a stable patina as well. before I treat the surface I let the coin sit out for a while to see if I can restart the chemical reactions. this one was stable. I'm confident that if it is stored in an archival environment it will maintain its appearance.

thanks everyone for your positive reaction. I like to bring these things back from the dead.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 739Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: