Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

UK 2016 Mono Metallic New Style 1 Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 662Next Topic  

United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  6:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CuriousSquare to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, not sure if this is the right forum or section, my apologies if this is the wrong place.

I have a UK 2016 mono metallic 1 coin, but can find no information on the coin or it's scarcity. I have seen some info on a few 2017 dated coins, but not 2016, when the coin was introduced.

Any help or info would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
CQ
Edited by CuriousSquare
10/05/2022 08:45 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
558 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
UK 2016 mono metallic 1 coin

The mods will probably move this query into it's own topic, but there is an article on the coin https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...fortune.html

Mintage was going to be 1.5 billion!
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Learn More...
United States
25400 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Split!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47355 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CuriousSquare,

John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
11290 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  05:06 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CuriousSquare, to the Forum! Please could you post clear photos of both sides of your 1 coin, and let us know the weight? Without these, it's very hard to tell what you have.

Is it a 12-sided coin with the same design as the normal circulating 1 coins? If so, then it could be an interesting error. However, if it is circular with a different design, then it would be an old-style nickel-brass coin. These were not issued for circulation in 2016, but they were made for sets and were available in packages for collectors from The Royal Mint, so it could be just a loose coin from one of these sets.
Edited by NumisRob
10/05/2022 05:07 am
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CuriousSquare to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all, thanks for the replies. I realise now I needed to be a lot more specific about the coin, so here goes...

Coin is a UK NEW Style (12 sided) 1 coin.

Date is 2016

Colour is 100% Gold/Brass.
i.e. The Outer AND the Inner centre are BOTH Gold/Brass.

The coin weighs 8.75g
(I had to borrow scales for this so not sure of accuracy?)

I have attached a photo for clarity.

Thanks

Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
11290 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  08:47 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting... What do other people think?
Learn More...
United States
118210 Posts
Learn More...
Australia
14798 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight is correct for a normal bimetallic pound coin. So my assumptions would be either:

- Counterfeit. This seems unlikely as counterfeits rarely bother to get the weight right. Plus, a counterfeit would have originally been silver-painted in the centre, to make it more believable, and there should still be some trace of that silvering on this coin; there is no such trace.

- Privately gold-plated. This seems most probable. You can see the "circles" on your coin where the boundary between the two different metals of the ring and core would normally go; this isn't put there by the dies, this is a product of the bimetallic blank. The blank used to make this coin is, therefore, bimetallic. Occam's Razor says the most probable explanation - a normal pound coin that was privately plated post-mint - is more likely to be true than some kind of mint error where a brass core was somehow made and used instead of a steel core, with the resultant coin just happening to weigh exactly the same as a normal 1 pound coin. Applying a gold plating would not significantly add to the weight.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CuriousSquare to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply Sap, however...

Firstly, I am NOT a coin collector. I found the coin in my change and thought it odd at the time, but really paid it no mind until now.

Secondly I would assume, not being a metallurgist, that plating the coin would create a variation in the colour/hue of the coin. However the colour appears to be consistent with that of other 1 coins. I would also assume, getting this plating colour exact would require a much more exacting process than that of simple gold plating.

Thirdly, I fail to see the point in someone going to the trouble of plating a coin like that, to then put it into public circulation.

Finally, and this is really my reason for not believing this is a created coin... I assume whoever would do this, would do so, for financial gain. Assuming this coin is one such, it would be a fair assumption that if they did one this well, then they would indeed do several and yet... I have neither seen or been able to find any information of similar coins being sold or in fact even being seen before?

To be clear, I am not looking to sell the coin or create a fuss, I was simply curious as to the origin/history of the coin and whether it was a known variant so to speak. Am I curious as to its possible value, of course, but my reason is one of simple human curiosity.

Any further information from members would be gratefully received.

Thanks, CS.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
11290 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  02:53 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the best idea would be to send it to The Royal Mint for authentification. If it is a genuine error coin it will be worth more to collectors with a letter from The Royal Mint saying it is genuine. You could also submit photos to Check Your Change who are experts on UK decimal coins.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
821 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  03:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the best idea would be to send it to The Royal Mint for authentification. If it is a genuine error coin it will be worth more to collectors with a letter from The Royal Mint saying it is genuine.

Would The Royal Mint really return the coin? Or would they confiscate it (using some obscure legal justification)?
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CuriousSquare to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the best idea would be to send it to The Royal Mint for authentification. If it is a genuine error coin it will be worth more to collectors with a letter from The Royal Mint saying it is genuine

The Royal Mint was actually my next choice as until now, no one on the internet has been able to really tell me much more than I already surmised myself. (no offence intended to those that answered, I am grateful for any and all information from everyone).

I actually live very close to The Royal Mint and know someone who works there. I will speak to her next week and ask the best course of action to identify it.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
11290 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would The Royal Mint really return the coin?

Yes, they should. In various coin magazines I've seen photos of coins authenticated by The Royal Mint along with letters sent by the Mint. Maybe if writing to the Mint you should ask them to return the coin!
Edited by NumisRob
10/07/2022 5:17 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 662Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: