Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Saudi Arabia Guinea - Is It Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 620Next Topic  

United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  04:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add LAL54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I have had a coin in my possession for a few years, inherited from a deceased relative and I have only got round to investigating what it might me. Google lens helped me identify it as a Saudi Arabian Guinea.

I wonder if anyone can help me identify if this is real or fake. I will say the original owner had a very interesting job and career and there have been some real interesting finds in his possessions so there is a good chance it's real but I'm not sure how to check.

It's also very shiny and definitely unused.
United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LAL54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
11333 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  05:00 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and

To appraise your coin we'll need clear photos of both sides, plus an accurate weight.

Look forward to seeing the photos!
Edited by NumisRob
10/05/2022 05:08 am
United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LAL54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  05:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LAL54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, thanks for taking a look. I've uploaded the photos now. I don't have accurate scales but I've used some kitchen scales and it says 7g

Thanks for any advice you might have!
Liz
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
11333 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  05:13 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the photos! I'm no expert on this particular coin type myself, but I'm sure someone will get back to you.

A genuine coin should weigh 7.9881 grammes. Maybe you could get it weighed at a jeweller's shop or somewhere with accurate scales?
United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  05:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LAL54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I'll try get more accurate scales.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
1027 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  05:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At first glance it looks authentic, but I'm not an expert on the Middle East.
Pillar of the Community
United States
531 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  09:32 am  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot comment on the authenticity, other than to say I see no obvious reason to be suspicious. At about 6 o'clock on the second photo it's showing a date of AH 1370, which corresponds to AD 1950. In Krause it's KM #36, listed as .9170 gold, containing 0.2354 oz. The diameter is not listed in my Krause catalog.
Learn More...
United States
118500 Posts
United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LAL54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone, I've not been able to get scales so as soon as I have I'll update with the weight.
United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LAL54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the weight comes in at 7.9 grams, I took it to an auctioneers today and its due to be in their next coin auction in December. Any thoughts on whether this is the best way to sell it? They've valued it at 250-300, I can see these coins sell on eBay for more with less commission.is eBay a better place to sell? Thanks for any advice on this.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
503 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That depends on who the auctioneer is - do they sell a lot of coins?

eBay would be tricky because it isn't a cheap coin and the collectors are less likely to be in the UK. If you don't mind waiting months or even years, you could give it a go. But then you have to ship a gold coin in the post to someone who might be in Saudi Arabia, which won't be the lowest tariff.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
22995 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
Valued Member
Canada
54 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2022  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JadeDragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wonderful coin. A good coin shop should be a buyer for cash. It is not a super expensive coin and definitely something I'd buy from a display case.
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2022  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could try selling it here on our forum!
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 620Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: