Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1965 Half Dollar Grade?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,024Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
243 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  12:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 2rtgah678 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Toning is pretty distracting and I doubt yall can get anything from a photo but under a loupe the coin looks really nice maybe MS64-65

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20384 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some fingerprinting in the patina, especially notable on the obverse
This will not affect the grade, but along with uneven patina does affect the eye appeal.

Difficult to assess the wear on the high points of the design on the obverse, due to the uneven patina.

The reverse has lots of high points in the design, which together, often result in Elizabethan 50 Cents coins having a split grading, with the reverse grading higher.

Light scratches in the patina on the obverse may?, or may have not? affected the metal underneath.

As with Australian coins with Machin bust, the hair detail in the design is often indistinct, and so makes looking for wear in these areas more difficult.

To achieve mid MS grading the very tiny nicks and scratches associated with this grade level are very difficult to find under the patina.

AU-53 obv, MS-62 rev.
With this opinion, one may well ask:
How does one side suffer from wear, and the other doesn't?
But necessary in this case, with this patina and pictures, to grade each side on it's own merits, independently of the other.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
874 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a sound assessment - MS-62 might be a little generous for the reverse, it's hard to tell in photos like this and maybe not that important anyway. But otherwise that seems right to me.
Valued Member
Canada
165 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I would consider that coin impossible to grade accurately from those pictures. It could be anything from 40 to 68 depending on what is toning and and what could be wear. (or not) The pictures, while showing some detail, are not that crisp. I know that's tough on this site with the restricted file size. There could easily be a lot of wear and damage hidden in that toning...or none. The obverse could very well be AU but the OP also says it looks 64-65 so possibly in hand it looks much better than the pictures suggest. I'd never offer a grade on it without having it in hand myself. I'd say the eye appeal is not there regardless and it's a common issue so value isn't likely to be much above melt unless condition is spectacular under that toning.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6145 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too find it a bit hard to grade, I would try an acetone bath to see if you can get some of that patina off.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8633 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@2rtgah678
Sorry to be totally off topic here, but I was very surprised...

Quote:
I doubt yall can get anything from a photo

I have spent an awful lot of time in Canada and travelled from Newfoundland to BC. I have never seen or heard the word "yall" when North of the border. You have me puzzled! :)

How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4564 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I'm from Oklahoma, but have lived here for 26 years ... and I say Y'all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8633 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I kind of thought you might be from south of the border LOL!

Picked up the "eh?" as well? Now THAT would be an unusual combo :)

My Dad's side immigrated to Canada first (likely in colonial times) then later sometime moved to the NW corner of PA in the Lake Erie Snow Belt. I guess they liked Canadian-style winters :)

I was on the border a good deal of my life and was always back and forth across the border. I am a bit "homesick" now not being able to do so anymore.

...and my local (Ohio) Tim's is terrible, but teases me being literally only a block away!
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Valued Member
Canada
243 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2rtgah678 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL, born and raised in Vancouver. guess I'mjust too lazy to say you all
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4564 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earle .... Just for your info, I used to announce for two Great Lakes golf tour events that used to be held at our club. And one of the first times greeting golfers on the first tee to announce where they were from, I said "How y'all doing, eh?" My friends at the club teased me for years renewing the episode again and again over beers with other friends.
Valued Member
Canada
243 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2rtgah678 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you guys think this coin would be a good candidate to get dipped? dont think there is much too lose.
Valued Member
Canada
165 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt it could hurt.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8913 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dipped in what?
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
243 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2rtgah678 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what I use to dip coins, it works pretty well its a diluted ammonia mixture. works very well with cloudiness on proofs and can remove light toning. its not super strong.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8913 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's not dipping, that's damaging.
Coin dips are thiourea based products available online or at dealers.
When we speak of "dipping" coins we are talking about the use of these products, I believe one brand name is EZ est.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
243 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2rtgah678 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does the exact same and can't be detected. But technically yes it is damaging, but I don't do it on expensive pieces and I understand the consequences.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,024Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: