Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

So, You Inherited A Bunch Of Foreign Gold

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,585Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2022  8:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, in the category of "nice problem to have", I own all these, but am a US-only collector. Ideally I would trade at fair market value for nice old US coins, but that is probably an impossible match to get both directions right.

What would be the best way to sell them? Of course I could just list them 1-by-1 on eBay but wonder if there's a better way. TIA, -t

Learn More...
United States
26136 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2022  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tim, you almost have enough quality posts to see here on CCF.

http://goccf.com/f/159
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75158 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2022  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no way to evaluate these coins except one at a time. Just that simple.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4503 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  12:06 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually to evaluate these is really simple .
Everything pictured is pretty much gold bullion .
There is nothing there numismatic value .
Nice problem to have !
The 1865 Mexico piece is a plated fantasy No real
Value .
The rest take to a legit bullion dealer who should pay you
around 96 to 98 per cent of melt on any given day .
Take the money and go nuts buying some neat coins .
Looks like around 16 or so ounces of Gold .
$27000 USD give or take !
Edited by Pacificoin
10/13/2022 12:14 am
Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  01:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

That's a useful answer! Not quite the one I was hoping for but exactly what I needed. Thank you, will likely just hold on to them as bullion in that case.
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cointagous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tim I would not do anything atm as you have bullion and swapping for US bullion does not make sense with premiums being so high currently. At some point you may want uniformity in the sense of eagles or maples but in the end gold is gold. The only difference is marketability.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6683 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  01:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It is what it is!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20605 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Watch the gold 'coin' bullion trading market carefully and graph the results on a weekly basis, so that a 30 day moving average price can be established over the period of your investment horizon.

From this information, you can make far more accurate timed decisions to keep or sell at a moment's notice.
No need for the spruikers to educate you. or be forced to gaze at your navel.
Sell when the daily price is well above the 30 day moving average trend line, (you win), or
keep when the daily price is well below to 30 day moving average trend line,...... but you loose only if you sell.

30 day moving average daily spot price charts can be found on the 'Net, if you don't want to do the math for yourself. but some effort in searching may be required.

The above is common strategy for commercial bullion dealers.

Remember, bullion coins have a +ve premium for buy, and a -ve price for sell, partly due to the fact they are (mostly) 900 fine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
787 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could get a general idea searching sold listings on ebay and on PCGS, NGC values but in my opinion PCGS and NGC are a little high. Is there a local coin shop or show coming up you could try to sell them there?

If they were mine I'd just keep them, I like variety.
Edited by livingwater
10/13/2022 08:07 am
Learn More...
United States
120727 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thank you, will likely just hold on to them as bullion in that case.
That is it. There is your answer. Keep them as "money in the bank."

There is no reason to liquidate it all at one time, otherwise you may end up acquiring some coins that are not 100% what you really wanted.

When you find a coin you really want to buy, cash in a piece or three of gold to fund it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
787 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No numismatic value? IMO there can be numismatic value in government minted bullion. To me, looks like some would be worth more than melt.
Edited by livingwater
10/13/2022 7:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2629 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

That is not quite true. Many of the Mexican gold coins go well over spot. Especially on eBay.

Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That is not quite true. Many of the Mexican gold coins go well over spot. Especially on eBay.

Problem with selling on eBay is they take 12.9%. So are any of my coins worth that much over spot, that I suppose is my job to figure that out. Thanks again all.
Edited by TimNH
10/13/2022 10:36 pm
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2022  02:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on inheriting these. I agree with a bunch of the others. Keep them until you really find a coin or two you'd like to buy, then sell a couple of these to pay for it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2680 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2022  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend working with a brick and mortar dealer you trust. The last time I sold it was junk US, in order to get a 1795 dollar my dealer was selling that I liked better than the gold coins. It was not a swap, and there was no haggling. The gold transacted at daily spot.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2022  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The last time I sold it was junk US, in order to get a 1795 dollar my dealer was selling that I liked better than the gold coins

That is exactly what I want to do (including the actual 1795 dollar), it's just near zero odds that any dealer near me up in NH would have a specimen that was "the one". All the so-called coin shops around me seem to be mostly bullion and proof type stuff in any case. Still, one can hope!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,585Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: