Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Julius Nepos Ae4 NGC Graded

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 747Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2022  12:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Julius Nepos, Last Roman Augustus in the West June 474 to August 28, 475 in the West. Ruling from Dalmatia 475 to April 25, 480AD. Size 9mm and weight 0.8 grams. RIC X 3222 type.

Hi guys. I found this coin about 5-6 years ago while mining small late Roman AE4s. Mining small late Roman junk coins is the only way you will ever find those very rare gems! I posted about it here a couple of years ago.

Bronze AE4s of Julius Nepos are very rare in any condition. They are rarer than his gold and silver coinage because of their crudeness and small size. They were either chucked or decomposed. This one was graded by NGC as genuine and in AG condition. AG is better than not. LOL. I found it so I know it is genuine but proving it to someone else is why I sent it to NGC along with a group of my better Romans. I just got it back.

Julius Nepos AE4s monogram reverses are very similar to some Leo I monogram reverses. The main difference is the S is across the diagonal of the N on Julius and above on Leo. On this coin the obverse is gone- with the light and angle just right there is a hint of a possible bust. The reverse is much clearer. Very clear S over the diagonal and no hint of a possible Z above left. So, who wants a trade? LOL

Learn More...
United States
26156 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2022  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice one @pen!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2022  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update.
Well, I didn't get much of a response to this post here so I listed the coin on eBay. I thought probably not much there either. LOL. Listed it for $500 with a best offer option. Sold it to a great guy for $1250. Absolutely amazed at the auction response!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
634 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2022  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic, pendrak!
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Pillar of the Community
United States
6579 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2022  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Listed it for $500 with a best offer option. Sold it to a great guy for $1250.

Well, that's a neat trick. Not sure how the best offer exceeded the asking price - and by a heck of a lot. However it came about: Congrats. That's great.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1008 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last legitimate emperor of the west. Not sure if I would have let that go. You were prudent to get it sent off for grading, you wouldn't have sold it for that much. It's an extremely difficult emperor to attain and hole in most collections.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 747Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: