Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rare Penny 1860, Unsure Of Worth

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 873Next Topic  

United Kingdom
0 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2022  09:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Becca22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi

I have a penny dated 1860.

It's smooth on either side. It's either worn or a mint error (unsure)
There is a outline of the Queen on other side. Having trouble uploading this one as it's saying file too big even though I've cropped it

Anyone recommend it's worth please?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48409 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2022  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You posted in the wrong section. I PMed the mods to move your post.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
74977 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2022  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2022  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Learn More...
United States
41791 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2022  10:06 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a common date, and worn out as were many English pennies.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
See my collecting interest - (click here)
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
11502 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2022  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
from Kent, England!
In that condition, most coin dealers would put the coin into their junk tray - my local dealer has plenty of bun pennies like that in a tray marked '4 coins for 1'. 1860 is a very common date as it's the year when these bronze pennies (which remained current until Decimalisation in 1971) were introduced to replace the even bigger and heavier copper pennies!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2022  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the lowball community, there will be interest in it. Not sure to what extent anyone would pay big money, but to only have a date left on a slug will peak some buyers for the novelty.
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Learn More...
Australia
14949 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2022  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but 1860 is not a "rare" date. As NumisRob noted above, it's the first date of issue of the new bronze pennies that replaced the pure copper pennies, so they made an awful lot of them that year.

There are a dozen or more different varieties, though I doubt any variety could be determined on a coin this heavily worn.

You don't often see pennies from the 1800s this badly worn in Britain itself - the English banks tended to withdraw them for remelting once they got this bad - though it is relatively common to find them in this condition in Australia and the other colonies.

As for value, I frankly doubt if anyone would give more than a few pence for it.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4638 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2022  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That penny isn't well worn.
This one is well worn,,,
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2022  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with all the above, the coin is not rare though, 5 million minted and it was introduced late in 1860, some 50 million more came out in 1861.

However your coin is very interesting, because its the first year of that particular type of penny! 1860 saw the copper penny (Below) and the bronze penny like you have.

There is also the 1860 Copper penny, which is rare. This coin is 34mm in size and weighs 18 grams, the coin you show is the first date of bronze bun penny from 1860 which weighs 9.45grams when new and is 30.2mm in size.

There are 2 types though, beaded border which is beads inside the outer ring on the edge and toothed border. The latter is more common and was used for subsequent pennies of this type issued until 1894.

But to answer your question, the coin is worth around 5 pence or the melt value of the copper.

Slightly better 1860 pennies, beaded on left and toothed on right, these would be in VG condition which is around 1 - 2 per coin.

I think Becca22 you should start collecting these pennies as they are very interesting, there are lots of types, they are old and even better is they are mostly cheap next to silver and gold coins.

Plus these are "Peoples coins" everyone was using these in the British Empire!

I got my introduction into coins through a worn penny similar to yours, a lady down the road had a jar full of old coins and told me to pick one when I was 8 and the coin that caught my eye was an 1899 penny, in which you could barely see the date - it set me on a journey I am still on!
Edited by Princetane
11/02/2022 12:32 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 873Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: