Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lincoln Penny What Kind Of Error Is This? 1978

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 245Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  7:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sunsup8206 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone, this is just a basic inquiry and I appreciate any help in advance. I am not looking to see if this is worth anything, but rather to see if anyone has seen this error before. I am not familiar with coin collecting, but I happened to be looking at the spare change on my desk and this penny had a strange circular indent. What intrigues me is the way the crescents meet in the back of his neck near the base of his head and the collar, as well as the side of his mouth and the front of his collar. Does anyone know what kind of error this is?
Thank you so much!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17010 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Impossible to tell anything from such a small photo.
We need a clear large photo of both sides with the coin on a neutral background.
Do not hold the coin in your hands. Also crop the photos to the edge of the coin.
Looking forward to see your new photos.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sunsup8206 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about that ! See pictures. The front is the only place that has the indentations. Thank you!

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sunsup8206 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And thank you again for anyone that comments. I tried searching online and could not find anything that looked like this.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73352 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please show your images right-side up and tell us specifically what you are seeing. We are not lying on our sides.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
11/21/2022 8:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
904 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The circle is just damage could have been anything but did not come from mint like that so not an error or die event.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sunsup8206 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oddguy- thank you!. I was really just wondering if it was some type of die error. You have answered my question. Truly appreciate it. Just so perfectly aligned I thought it was really neat.

Coinfrog- seems like after all the detail I gave and stating that it was on the front only I don't think even lying on your side would make it any easier for you to see the error. Appreciate your response.

Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
9948 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As noted, post-strike damage--perhaps resulting from use in a vintage mechanical vending machine. I see this occasionally with nickels.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73352 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Sunsup - My response - Showing images right-side up is a common courtesy on this forum.

Appreciate your response.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12178 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No telling what was used to create these indentations, but they sure look intentional and did not occur at the mint. It classified as Post Mint Damage or PMD as you will see from time to time.
Learn More...
United States
118320 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 245Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: