Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1865 3 Cent Nickel Variation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 287Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
98 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  2:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Caddis to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I am trying to identify this coin and from what I've seen it looks like it's called an FS-304? Would that be correct? Thank you.

Learn More...
United States
25367 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@cad, this is a little outside my swim lane, but I think you are correct. Yours seems to be the variation with minimal die clashing on the obv and no die cracks on the rev.

See the below link to a previous CCF thread with a couple examples of this:

http://goccf.com/t/389456
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caddis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9066 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This sure does look like the FS-304 to me. The date spread to the northeast is about right on for it. The other RPD are more to the east or less spread.

I'm tentatively saying yes to FS-304 on it.

The other pointer is the tiny die chip in the denticles between the 1 and 8 closer to the 8.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), Civil Wat Token Society (CWTS), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member in good standing, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
11/23/2022 7:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caddis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information. Would this coin merit consideration for grading? Or would it be just a waste of money?
Pillar of the Community
United States
9066 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't spend my own money on certifying it personally not enough value in my opinion to warrant that expenditure. Then again I only certify coins that are very commonly faked i.e.: 1916-D dimes, 1909-S VDB cents, etc., and where it would make financial sense (coins in the multi thousands of dollars).

I trust myself with grading and detecting fakes, but I've also been collecting coins a pretty long time and started almost a decade before the grading companies were around.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), Civil Wat Token Society (CWTS), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member in good standing, 2 variety collector.

Edited by westcoin
11/23/2022 10:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caddis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information Westcoin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9066 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  12:16 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No trouble at all, glad I could help. You have found a couple of nice looking better varieties in great condition too!

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 287Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: