Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Should I Buy Next

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 807Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  7:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Raiden to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Whats should I buy next, Buffalo nickels or Old Dimes (Mercury ofc)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75021 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please start by telling us more about you and your present collections.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raiden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My current collection is about 200 wheat pennies, the lowest date one is 1889 ofc making it a Indian head , 1 1960 Nickel (lowest date one I have), and 3 steel 1943 (plus 1 1943 D) pennies.
Edited by Raiden
11/29/2022 7:26 pm
Valued Member
Canada
476 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why not move up the denomination ladder then to nickels?
Pillar of the Community
United States
724 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you could consider working on a type set. its a fun way to get a little bit of everything. you can start with 20th century and if you are enjoying it its pretty affordable to pick up a lot of the 19th century coins as well.
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Raiden, Carr makes an excellent point. By making a 20th Century type set, you'll learn a great deal about our numismatic history. It will be great fun, and can be done rather economically.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raiden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do you recommend?
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tonyqt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would recommend spending a little on numismatic literature, especially on Buffalo nickels and Mercs. This will help you make an educated decision and hopefully elevate any regrets or poor purchases down the road.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Raiden, here is a type set that my father assembled. No later than 1970, as there is no provision for clad Kennedy half dollars or Eisenhower dollars. Had forgotten about it until this thread.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Pillar of the Community
United States
724 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a type set is one of each design of each denomination of coin. so for 20th century cents you would have something like Indian Head cent, Lincoln Wheat cent, Lincoln steel cent, Lincoln Memorial cent. looks like you might already have a 20th century cent type set.

you could further expand the cent set to include 21st century which would add the 4 designs from the life of Lincoln series of 2009 and the shield design from 2010 - present. in the 20th century you could also add the V.D.B cent which was a short lived design from 1909. all of those types can be had for under $5 each.

going into the 1800s is reasonably affordable too. copper nickel Indian cents, 1859 Indian cent cent with a different reverse, Flying Eagle cents, brainded hair large cents and coronet head large cents can all be had in pretty respectable condition for under $20 a coin. draped bust and classic head cent get a bit pricier. maybe 30 and 100 respectively for decent looking low grade coins.

"coinfacts" is a great phone app that is free. it has price guides (they are mostly overpriced), grading guides (amazing) and little blurbs about all the different types of coins. check it out!
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1233 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  01:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would educate myself on a series beforehand, this is essential.

Very broad question asking what to collect next.

What is your budget?

I don't understand the "ofc" type of speaking.

I shouldn't have to google what things mean when someone types it.
Edited by NumismaticsFTW
11/30/2022 01:17 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18456 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , Ok ,so small collection for starters . If you don't already have one , pick up the Red Book ''a guide to U.S. coins ''. Look through it a few times then pick out a coin that you think you would like to collect , If your coin budget isn't a problem , then go for it .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinnewcomer1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would research first and then decide with a strong idea of what you can afford. TO determine budget figure what you could spend per month on coins. TO save some money also choose a series which you can still find some nice stuff from circulation (so Washington quarters is a good one because you can still get once in a great while a silver quarter, albeit worn, to start a collection and purchasing pre 1965 quarters in uncirculated condition is affordable for most dates). But research first starting with the Red Book Guide of US coins, then look for Bower's book on particular series. One I recommend is his guide on Walking Liberty half dollars, Mercury dimes, and Standing Liberty quarters.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Notatzaddik to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buffalo nickels or old dimes? Either way you can most most of them very affordably. The question for you is will not filling all the holes bother you, and will you fill those holes?

The dimes will probably get you the biggest bang for the buck, but I prefer Buffalo nickels, they are so majestic and a little bigger and easier on my eyes than the dimes.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
26130 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2022  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buy the old dimes before silver prices rise.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 807Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: