Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Better To Spend The Money To Invest In Popular Year Morgans, Or Buy The Less Popular Years?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 864Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
100 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2022  8:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Shtiv to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Based on the board's consensus, what are the best Morgan silver dollars to buy? Would you rather spend a little more and get a good year/condition or get more (quantity) for your money and get less popular years? Recently, I became addicted to buying these darn things. I bought Peace dollars over the years, but I should have bought Morgans instead. It is my hope that I am not buying at a high price and don't lose my gf to my habit ha. Any suggestions for what might be up and coming if not the Morgans?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20593 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The old question of condition vs rarity.

Ultimately, the decision to acquire a particular Morgan is still rests with the buyer's preferences.
For most, that comes down to best value for money at the time of purchase.

Nevertheless,
some buyers favor condition, some buyers favor rarity.

Me? I am a fence - sitter, and that applies across the whole of numismatics, not just Morgans.

Edited by sel_69l
12/03/2022 04:43 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10036 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  01:09 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would you rather spend a little more and get a good year/condition or get more (quantity) for your money and get less popular years?

If was was ask this question, at this time, I would say spend a little more and go for the better dates/condition. Quality never goes out of style.
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48504 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  03:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on why you are buying them.
To collect buy quality.
To stack buy quantity.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1239 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  05:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems you're on this trendy "stacking" kick like a lot of newcomers.

I collect because I enjoy the hobby, I have no investment advice.

You're most likely going to be upset with our hobby as an investment.

There's no wrong way to collect, but your intentions can be flawed- NumismaticsFTW 2022
Edited by NumismaticsFTW
12/03/2022 05:22 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9199 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

As stated, it depends on your collecting goals.

High end quality Morgans (or any other coin) never go out of style and will generally retain or increase in value. They are for collectors.

Mid grade common Morgans (or any other coin) follow the bullion market in pricing, almost never appreciate in value and are for silver stackers.

Decide who you are and then go for it.

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it all depends on what your goals are. I collect for fun and enjoyment, so it doesn't really matter to me what a better long term value might be. No matter what you do it is hard to go wrong when you buy coins with strong eye appeal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see people on eBay paying big premiums over melt for junky Morgans. I would be careful about getting caught up in a frenzy. Could come back to earth.
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shtiv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been collecting coins since I was 5 or 6 years old, and I have always been drawn to coins that I find fascinating and that my eyes are drawn to. Never been one to follow trends. As I have grown wiser, I realize that I should consider both of those, what's trendy and what I like (if possible). Perhaps this is one of my investment problems since I do a lot of things I enjoy and collect coins with character. For example, I have collected Peach Dollars over Morgan dollars in the past. I enjoy reading each of your responses and what drives you to stack. Thank you for sharing, I hope this thread gets more responses.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1270 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin market right now is still quite inflated. If doing this for a profit, buying most anything right now is likely to result in future days where you're upside down. Its anyones guess when another surge like this comes around; it might be so long out that even a return to regular inflation mutes it. As others have said, this hobby is for the love, and understand that its a tough game for the profits even if your at it like a margins-squeezed dealer.

Buy what you love and you'll generally stay happy.
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Edited by Collects82
12/03/2022 10:56 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2622 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The keyword in your post seems to be "invest", and that's a minefield. Like others on here, I collect as a hobby. I try not to be stupid about it, but I don't consider it an investment.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2561 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with others, but there is an investment aspect. It is good to buy choice coins to hold their value, and possibly grow in value as opposed to cull coins which are likely to remain stagnant and are difficult to sell. That is what makes this hobby different from other purchases. If you buy retail shoes and sell those shoes the same day second hand, you will have to sell for a discount. If you buy right then you will do well. Like others said, don't expect high profit.

If I was in your shoes, I would research research research. Knowledge is the key in numismatics. Get to know retail prices, key dates, and conditional rarities. I would buy key dates in the best condition I could afford in the morgan series. If you end up assembling a complete set, you will have the difficult coins already purchased.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3809 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not buy coins as an investment. If you want to collect Morgan's and get the most upside on the money you spend, then, purchase CC minted, better dates, and key dates. Unless you are doing a complete set, consider not buying the 40 most common dates as there are simply too many coins available on the market. On common date Morgan's MS65 and under the coin value is heavily tied into the spot price of silver.

Pillar of the Community
United States
872 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it is always recommended to purchase the highest grade coin you can afford. My personal preference however would be to purchase a lower condition rare date as opposed to a higher grade common date. I wish that I had done this myself many years ago when some rare date coins were rather affordable. Now they are darn near impossible for me to acquire without a hefty price tag.
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shtiv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting approach " My personal preference however would be to purchase a lower condition rare date as opposed to a higher grade common date. ". I like to go with a coin in XF condition with signs of age, or coins with character such as being stamped or certain defects.
Edited by Shtiv
12/04/2022 11:10 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 864Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: