Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible Silver Penny?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 494Next Topic  

Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  8:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Phreakyteebz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone. What's your thoughts on the pictures of this possible mostly silver penny? Is it an error, or some kids science experiment? Might it be worth more than a penny? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75021 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guessing this has been plated.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10605 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An accurate weight for the piece might tell us more.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17363 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Not an error. Your CENT is probably plated, not an
uncommon occurrence. No extra premium for this.
Learn More...
Australia
14952 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and welcome.

Your coin is plated or painted. Sorry. I would assume electroplated, and that the large coppery spot on top of the queen's head is where the electrode was attached.

And your coin is technically illegal, too. A 1 cent coin that is silver plated could reasonably be said to "resemble" a 10 cent coin, since they are of similar size, especially if the coin were presented heads-side-up. Which makes it "counterfeit money", as defined by Canadian law (Canadian Criminal Code, Section 448(c) and 448(e)). It is illegal to make (Section 449), own, buy or sell (Section 450), attempt to spend (section 452), import (Section 450) or export (Section 452) such a coin.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
2614 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Intended" is a prominent word in those statutes, @Sap. It's your actions with it that would make it illegal. I really don't think anyone is in legal jeopardy for possessing a high school science experiment.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
699 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  12:40 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scratch the edge.
Learn More...
Australia
14952 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"Intended" is a prominent word in those statutes, @Sap. It's your actions with it that would make it illegal. I really don't think anyone is in legal jeopardy for possessing a high school science experiment.

The section on possessing such coins require no such mind-reading capability; the mere existence of these coins is sufficient for a crime to have occurred, no matter what reason or intent there may have been for its creation.

The law on possession does, however, allow for a "lawful justification or excuse" for possessing a counterfeit. While the full scope of such "Excuses" is not outlined in the legislation and may need to be explored in the courts, it's my understanding that being a coin collector and holding counterfeit coins in the collection for educational purposes is considered a legitimate excuse. You might need to prove in court that you really are a coin collector, though.

That being said, I agree, the RCMP isn't going to be hunting down a single owner of a single "silvered" cent - they're more interested in counterfeiting rings, or in people or groups who are mass-producing or mass-importing counterfeits. Which is why I prefaced my earlier post with the word "technically". Though it does have practical application, in that if the OP were to try to sell the coin on eBay, anybody could report the listing as "selling a counterfeit Canadian coin" and eBay would remove it. And yes, there are people out there who are trolling eBay looking for such listing violations.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phreakyteebz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I guess I won't be paying off my mortgage early.
I was actually really excited with a dime my wife found with just the edge of Bluenose side of the coin showing about a dozen of the dots around the rim. The rest of the scene was missing, super shiny, with a few scratch marks. That was until I found where she got it from. Apparently the washing machine went a few rounds with it and won. The other side was totally unscathed. I'm really not trying to launder money.
I guess I'm out 11 cents, but I'm not going down with this ship, and I'll have to get rid of my pretty penny as well.
Thanks guys for your help on this.
Learn More...
United States
120601 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5062 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no worry the RCM will come after a collector for a penny on a dime, there are many legit examples out there probably the most common type of off planchet errors but if you find a 2012 version this would be worth a pretty buck.
Edited by john100
12/07/2022 10:15 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 494Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: