Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Titurius Denarius - Sabine - Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 250Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Italy
546 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2023  5:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I think I've gotten much better at identifying immediate fake (or immediate authentic specimens; at least in the context of buying group lots of coins).

Any thoughts on this one?

My instinct is fake.

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1159 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2023  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes and it looks like you have something where the "R" in the coin below is marked as Replica. So yes modern and not real...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/f...age00015.jpg

Edited by louisvillekyshop
01/24/2023 5:28 pm
Learn More...
United States
26099 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2023  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@roma, if you have this piece in hand, would you mind adding the weight and diameter to the thread so that we have that information? Thx.

Also, here are a few links to the real deal from various CCF members' collections:

http://goccf.com/t/436209
http://goccf.com/t/388121
http://goccf.com/t/378195
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Italy
546 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2023  02:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@spence...I do not have the item in hand. I left it after concluding it was fake; just looking for a confirmation and test of my developing skills. Thanks again!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1461 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2023  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of flags to watch for. Note what appears to be a very fine seam around an unusually square edge. Also, notice how the beading on either side drops away; this suggests that the original from which the cast was made was centered differently.
Pillar of the Community
Italy
546 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2023  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kush... I was 99%+ on this one being fake. I like to use the forum to confirm. Thanks for your response!
I posted two other coins I saw today at a shop under another thread.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1008 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2023  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to add the edge is very sharp and smooth. This is an example of a fake I bought long ago.

Edge of an authentic example (not crisp or clean):

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 250Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: