Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hello, I Have A 1796 Quarter , Can Someone Tell If It's Real Or Fake ?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 761Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2023  9:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Michelhajj to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I have a 1796 quarter , can someone tell if it's real or fake ?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2023  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

looks counterfeit to me
I've only been collecting for a couple years (2017). Favorite Coin's are Standing Liberty quarters, Working on my type set: "knowledge is power" -Thomas Jefferson | Coffee, Corvettes, Coins & the CCF what could be better?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4228 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2023  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On many points do not look well as the coin was struck. I do not have a link for those counterfeits just my photos with the notes. Bottom of the line I will not buy this one. What I can tell you is those counterfeits was struck in silver, in general 800
Pillar of the Community
United States
2057 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2023  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, for a first time poster, this would be considered a whopper rarity of a coin if genuine. If genuine which this sadly is not, would be a several hundred thousand on up. This would be an immediate "Get this certified ASAP by either PCGS or NGC" if genuine. Silviosi probably means 80% silver when he says 800. Also appears like a Chinese counterfeit.
Edited by mrwhatisit
01/24/2023 10:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4228 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2023  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@MRW: you use 80% in the alloy, me by default I go with pro-mill for precious metals.. Like 999.9 Ag or Au. It is same at the bottom of the line.
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2023  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NY Islander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the weight? 6.74 gms?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
23936 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2023  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
Pillar of the Community
United States
4543 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2023  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks fake to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9187 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2023  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

That would be a several hundred thousand dollar coin - so I'm skeptical.

How did you obtain it? Can you give a weight and diameter?
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5026 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2023  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a plated counterfeit.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17378 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2023  06:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

100% counterfeit
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13915 Posts
Learn More...
United States
120643 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2023  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3809 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2023  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is a counterfeit. It looks like a novelty coin. I would be surprised if the coin is made from silver. The weight is most likely to be under. Below is a genuine and the OP example, so you can see the difference. Note the difference distance between the stars and denticles on the coins.

Genuine NGC

OP Coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
2619 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2023  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's sad when someone's first post is a counterfeit. I can't figure out what the source coin was - nothing I can find has the top hair curl aligned with B like this one is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2558 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2023  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The proportions is that of a dollar, not a quarter dollar. Additionally, the off center bust is a 1795 bust dollar variety. In any case, this coin is still a counterfeit.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 761Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: