Today I found a 1889-CC Morgan dollar at a local coin dealer. It looks to be in Fine or better condition. It is a little out of place for this dealer, because he is a weekend market dealer and I have not seen many key date expensive Morgans at his store. He was to busy with customers today when I was there to talk price. MY question is how is the best way for ME to tell if this coin is authentic? I see to many posts about fake coins, and I don't want to be sorry about an expensive purchase. I would like to know what to look for when examining the coin with a magnifier. Thanks for your help.
First of all, check the weight. A genuine 89-CC will weigh 26.73grams or very near depending on wear. Look near the mintmark for any signs of scraping or scratch marks. This should throw up a red flag immediately. There are added mintmarks from the common 1889. I'm just very cautious when it comes to key dates such as this. I would stick to a coin already certified by a major TPG to eliminate all the doubts. That's my advice.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use