Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Favourite Banknote

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 14,626Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community

Thailand
1509 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2009  12:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thai-vic to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just read a previous topic on members' favourite banknotes. Just wanted to share mine. It's old and grubby but the detailed engraving on the reverse of this Greek 50 drachmai note (1954-56 series) is fantastic. I'm sorry I can't get a decent close-up of any detail as the quality goes down. It shows Pericles addressing the citizens of Athens on (I assume) the completion of the Acropolis. He paid for this with embezzled funds! Better than just sticking the money in a Swiss bank account, unlike some modern world leaders... Whoops, must stay away from politics. I can't wait to get hold of an UNC.
Vic

Pillar of the Community
United States
3098 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2009  12:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wd1040 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I absolutely love banknotes will full designs like this one! Thanks for sharing!

Now, is it possible to get a scan of the obverse?

... wait... so he paid what with embezzled funds from where? I can't find it on wikipedia. I learned so much history from banknotes, and here's going to be another!
Pillar of the Community
Thailand
1509 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2009  01:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thai-vic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basically he paid for the building of the Acropolis and other builings in Athens. Money was conned from neighbouring states such as Sparta, I think he told them he needed the money to finance a war then spent it to glorify his own city state. How cool is that?
Here's the obv.

Try Pericles on wikipedia for a full history of the man.
Edited by thai-vic
06/18/2009 01:42 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4541 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2009  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daviscfad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool note! I used to be into bank notes heavy but have gotten away from them for some reason
Learn More...
United States
23330 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2009  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice.
Canada
12 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2009  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jackie2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice notes! & interesting background story too!
Netherlands
7 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2009  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DutchCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mine is this one:

Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2009  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if the Greek note is an adaptation from a painting? It has that feel--nice engraving work!
I also like these modern note designs--they're just as interesting as more "classical" engraving.
Pillar of the Community
Thailand
1509 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2009  03:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thai-vic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dutch- andDVCollector

I like the modern design, would certainly have brighten up the day if you had some of those in your pocket (well that was in the pre-euro days).

Now you've got me thinking about the engraving on my Greek note. Having just spent several hours on the net I'm more confused than ever.

I've found a colour version attributed to a (Von) Folz but no specific details. So which came first? I guess it's the old chicken/egg dilemma.

There are also some very nice poster prints available of the scene as depicted on the banknote but again I just can't get any info on the original engraver. They also entitle the print as "Athenian Statesman Pericles Pleading For Aspasia at Her Trial" but I'm not convinced of that because there is another print/lithograph which is entirely different and seems more convincing for that subject title.

So... the plot thickens. If anyone can come uo with anything more convincing/definitive I'd be most grateful.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1418 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2009  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tumbleweedtrumpet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great notes!
Pillar of the Community
United States
511 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2009  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 3stooges to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like all the Series 1937 Canadian notes as well as the Series 1974 $2 and 1972 $5. Nothing tops the Series 1975 $50 with the Mounties on horseback. The design and colors are incredible.
Pillar of the Community
Thailand
1509 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2009  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thai-vic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HI 3stooges

I've just checked my World Paper Money for the 1975 $50 reverse. No picture.

Next, banknotebank.com. Again no picture of the reverse. Plenty of the obverse and nearly everyone says the same about the beauty of the note.

Is this so fantastic no-one is willing to share? Can anyone post a pic so all of us unfortunate enough not to have one can have a look?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1082 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2009  02:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure...ask and receive!

This was the only note of the series to have a full-colour picture on the back. Quite a nice rendition of the Queen's Cowboys doing their Musical Ride.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2423 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2009  03:37 am  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a single note in my collection, but I'd make an exception for this beauty
Valued Member
94 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2009  01:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kiwi_Bird to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of my modern favorites.

Pillar of the Community
United States
554 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2009  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ichirensha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, That Canadian 50 dollar bill is nice!
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 14,626Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05