Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1916-D Dime. Do I Have What I Think I Have?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 199 / Views: 41,562Next Topic
Page: of 14

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2009  02:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cyclone99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was going through a bunch of coins a relative had accumulated over the years and came across what appears to be a 1916-D dime in great condition. It was just loose with a bunch of other coins from the period. Is it legit? What would the approximate grade be?

Pillar of the Community
United States
9648 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2009  03:26 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Keeping a $20,000 coin loose with a bunch of other coins is scary! I'm no expert on added mintmarks but if this coin is authenticated, it looks mint state to me.

Say it's in a PCGS slab at MS64FB, you have a $30,000 coin. Don't put it under your pillow, have a ANA dealer examine it.

Good luck!
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
2526 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2009  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
holy smokes, Batman.

Not what I expected to see!

PCGS here I come!
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2009  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Saruma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The PCGS website has a page about fake 1916-D's: http://www.PCGS.com/articles/articl...l?artid=5780

It isn't jumping out at me as an obvious fake, but I'm no expert. Although it does look a bit like the image on the upper left of that page. Apparently both images on that page are fakes, although it isn't labeled very well (you have to check the actual name of the image to tell).

Given the potential value of what you have I'd strongly recommend getting it authenticated. If it is real it will be well worth the money to get it graded and authenticated. If it is fake, at least you know.

Good luck! I hope it is real!
Edited by Saruma
11/20/2009 11:50 am
Rest in Peace
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2009  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally think it is an added mintmark, because the position looks off from what I have seen, but I really am not that well versed on these. Have it examined by a dealer and/or wait for some more opinions on this.
Valued Member
United States
278 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2009  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rustyboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Blow up a photo around the mint mark. The detail of the shape of the "D" is one of the few ways to actually detect an altered mint mark.

And the more I look at coins in similar condition on Heritage, the more the D looks altered. The top and bottom of the where the curved part runs into the vertical part does not seem to match the images there.
Edited by rustyboy
11/20/2009 12:06 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2009  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe I was wrong, is it in the right place rustyboy? I just thought it would be lower. Or are there multiple varieties?
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2009  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cyclone99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took some pictures of the mint mark, as best I could, from a few different angles.

The coin was loose with a bunch of other coins, including 23 other Mercury dimes, which included 7 1916s, a 1916-S, and 13 from 1917-1918. So I believe they were accumulated at the time, and have no reason to suspect it's a fake.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9648 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2009  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm no expert on this but the location of the mintmark looks correct.

A coin of that value has to be authenticated "in-hand" by an expert. There is no other way to know if it's genuine. This coin is among the most counterfeited coins in history. Fakes were being produced in the 1920's through today.

I'd send it to PCGS or NGC if there was not a major dealer located nearby.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
1116 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2009  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scott3270 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow I hope it is real get it authenticated asap like bherring1964 said it is one of the most counterfeited coins in history
Valued Member
United States
278 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2009  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rustyboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The location looks correct. If you look closely at http://coins.ha.com/common/view_ite...Lot_No=2275#, there seems to be some tailing on the very left hand of the D. Again, I don't see it, even on the blown up images of the coin in question. But I am no expert, and it is only one of the 4 dies used on the D, so take it with a grain of salt.

I hope it's real, just for an awesome story's sake.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2009  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cyclone99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think there are any 'major' dealers around here. So what should I do? Join PCGS and send it to them? How much should I insure it for?
Valued Member
United States
278 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2009  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rustyboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally would want a better confirmation of status before joining and sending it. Take a trip this weekend. I would not mail it without ~20K in insurance. That may be rather expensive, hence having a good feeling prior to sending it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
763 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2009  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nolawyer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently joined PCGS in order to authenticate a 1901-S Quarter, and I have enjoyed dealing with them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2009  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Saruma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Besides the PCGS link I gave above, I also just looked at my copy of the PCGS grading book (Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection). If you can find a copy take a look at page 322. They have a side by side comparison of a real and fake mint mark. Yours looks a lot more like the real "D" than the fake one. One point they make about the fakes is that the phony "D" is thin, having a lower profile than the real mark. Your mark seems pretty high, so I'm leaning more and more towards real.

I haven't sent anything to PCGS, so I can't help you there, other than to say that I believe the USPS has the highest insurance coverage of the major shippers, $25,000. As nice of condition as that coin is, you might want to insure it for that amount.
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 199 / Views: 41,562Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05