Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Seated Liberty Coin Question/Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  12:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pitch99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have come across a coin I would like some information on. It appears to be a dime or half dime. On the front it has the seated Liberty and a date of 1854 with arrows. However, the odd part is that the words "United States" are not found on the coin and on the back there is only what appears to be a cursive letter D (not 100% sure about this though) with a thin pattern around the edge of the coin. Please see the attached photos of the front and back sides of this coin. If anyone can give me any information on this coin I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Rest in Peace
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its definitely a dime, and this is called a 'love token', where they scribbled out the reverse to make a design.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1750 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, definitely a love token. I'm not sure what the collector market is for these, but would be interested to learn more as I see them in dealer junk bins from time to time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1621 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a "love token society" and they have their own website. http://www.lovetokensociety.org/
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Pillar of the Community
United States
1523 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halfwitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse has been smoothed out and an initial engraved.There are collectors for Love tokens.
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few love tokens myself, one with each of my kids and my ex wife's initials. It is pretty easy to find a single initial that match someone but finding 2 letters or even 3 is a hard task to complete (all of mine are 3 initials except mine and my youngest daughters)
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a few love tokens myself, one with each of my kids and my ex wife's initials.

You, sir, are my hero.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found a two-initial love token for my wife as well and she just happens to share my intials. As for the one posted, the border is quite ornate, I like it
Rest in Peace
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2010  12:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I gave my girlfriend a quarter eagle love token for X-mas.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15109 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2010  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a simple love token but very nicely done. Being a single initial they really should have made the initial a little larger but I do like it a lot.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1406 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2010  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add afcop13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very neat, and a new idea to find a unique gift for my wife's upcoming birthday!
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2010  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AMFCook to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FMV is around $10 fo G condition, up to about $5000 in MS66. Nice find.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05