Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sinking Feeling In My Stomach...

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 53 / Views: 4,802Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2010  11:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got this off ebay about 6 months ago. Should have paid more attention at the time...

12.45 grams - almost per spec 12.44 grams...

Something weird below mintmark...

Examination w/ stereo microscope

Coin flipped upsidedown

Rim

This sucks! Shanghaied!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also I don't know if its just me, it looks harshly cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, after they carved out "REPLICA" from near the mintmark, they applied a belt sander to give it a good sheen!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1523 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  01:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halfwitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That sucks.
Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coretj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought that the "replica" and "copy" stamps were pressed in.. How could they carve it out?
Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  01:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coretj -> they bore around each letter to obliterate.

see image below. if one looks carefully, one can see directly above the head of the arrow, above the blue "L", one can see where the "L" wasn't obliterated. You can also see the remnants of the "A" where it wasn't entirely obliterated.

Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coretj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
coretj -> they bore around each letter to obliterate.

But wouldn't that leave a trench in the coin?
Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  05:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The arrows are pointing to "trenches" in the coin....
Learn More...
United States
23333 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  07:34 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope you didn't pay too much.
Learn More...
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a reeding hit from another coin to me. Where are the first three letters if the last 4 were so strongly tooled away?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4213 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first thing I thought of was a reeding hit too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
976 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MINT_MARQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think they ussually stamp "Copy" on the coins not replica.

On the bright side the shapes don't look to line up...

On the skeptic side, it now has a reason to have four gouges instead of 7...Could it have been stamped YPOC, because they blew it on the engraving.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, I don't think this was stamped "Replica" and then tooled away.

Reasons:

I don't think there is much counterfeit market for a relatively common mintage like that of the 1855 O Seated Half.

And I've never seen a counterfeit stamped "Replica" or "Copy" below the O and above the Half Dollar before.

The weight checks out.

So,

I agree with SuperDave and Chequer. It really looks like a reeding hit from another coin. (It looks like other reeding hits in the upper left reverse field too).

I'm leaning towards an authentic EF45 coin with just a couple of bag marks.

(edited to correct my lack of spell check!)
Edited by Moe145
02/20/2010 6:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1523 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halfwitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that I have never seen replica just copy. Some are printed quite small and others larger.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1695 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out the following, and you can request the stamp on either side of the coin
http://cgi.ebay.com/Replica-47-LIBE...py_W0QQitemZ280465992891QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item414d136cbb
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2010  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fyimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if it's not replica tooled out then there is certainly something weird going on with the coin.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 53 / Views: 4,802Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05