Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian Penny 1942(B) Without I

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Greece
70 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2010  11:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Georgioscoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone knows the market value of this in about XF?

I could not find one in ebay...
Krause values VF$5 & XF$40 while no mintage numbers.

Here is some info I found about:

In an article "Notes on Australian Pre-decimal Coinage" (Journal of the Australian Numismatic Society,1996), Bill Mullett wrote:

The 1942 Penny

The combined efforts of the Melbourne and Perth mints could not satisfy the demand for Australian coins in 1942, 43 and 44. Contracts were let with US mints for the production of silver coins and with the Bombay Mint for the striking of both pennies and halfpennies. In the latter case, the coins can usually be recognised by the letter "I" being placed under George VI's portrait on the obverse of both coins.
However it is well known that some 1942 pennies struck in Bombay do not show the "I" mintmark. It must be remembered that it was wartime and the need for coins was urgent. I personally packed, addressed and wrote out the Customs Declaration for the first pairs of master dies and punches sent to Bombay. They were made at the Melbourne Mint and did not have an "I" on them for the excellent reason that Melbourne did not possess an "I" punch. It seems that, the need being urgent, they were put to use immediately on arrival, and later a new master tool was struck using an "I" in Bombay's possession or which they acquired from elsewhere.

Thank you in advance,
Georgios
Learn More...
Australia
13197 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2010  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neither the Macdonald nor Renniks catalogues list this variety; I'm surprised that Krause does. MacConnelly's varieties book lists the 1942 "missing mintmark" Bombay issue as "very scarce" but this catalogue doesn't give prices.

If you've got a 1942 penny that doesn't have an "I" below the date, check to make sure it really is a Bombay penny. Check the word "PENNY" on the reverse; if there are dots on both sides of the word, both before P and after Y, then the coin is from Bombay mint and you do indeed have the "missing I variety". If there is only one dot, after the Y (and no dot before the P) then it's a Perth coin.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Greece
70 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2010  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Georgioscoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, one dot before and one after the word penny and no I in other side of coin. You got me excited saying that according to MacConnelly's catalog is very scarce.
Valued Member
Greece
70 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2010  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Georgioscoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here it is

Formerly nancyc
Australia
5100 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2010  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! I like it a lot!
A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
Australia
40 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2010  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add autocoupler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, one to hang onto. In my opinion Australian pre decimal varieties are grossly undervalued.
Valued Member
Greece
70 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2010  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Georgioscoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why do you think varieties are undervalued? Is it because not too many collectors in Australia? or because of the large number of varieties (hundreds) not many bother collecting them? One or the other could result in low demand.
Valued Member
Australia
52 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2010  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add QldSandy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know that there are "hundreds" of varieties with the Australian Pennies, but about a hundred would be close. There are hundreds when you consider the errors such as diefills, planchet flaws, diecracks etc.
My collection of variety and error Pennies is well over 600 with many more to come I feel. I do have one of the coins as above and there are thoughts it is a diefill although I can't find any sign of where the I should be under 200x magnification, and other thoughts that it is a variety when the mintmark was mistakenly ommitted. Cheers.
Australia
40 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2010  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add autocoupler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Generally, there probably isn't a huge interest in Australian varieties at the moment, but is on the increase and judging by recent prices paid at recent auctions particularly miss strikes, you could do worse than hanging onto anything that may be rare. There are many non error varieties, some being rare die combinations such as the 1920 penny dot above bottom scroll with the London obverse and the 1931 penny dropped 1 with Calcutta obverse. There are less than fifty known examples of either coin, but when compared to the icon 1930 penny (1500 generally accepted as being on the market) they fetch only a fraction of the price. Our main coin reference bible makes no reference to them, of course the 1930 penny has received much hype through media and the coin industry over the last 50 years or so. Other rare die combinations exist in later dates which are considered rare in high grades, so in my opinion those who hang onto their rarer varieties will do quite well as time and interest progresses. Cheers.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2010  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Uhhhh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This thread made me go bust out my penny just to look.

Quote:
If there is only one dot, after the Y (and no dot before the P) then it's a Perth coin.

^That's mine.
Australia
14 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aeromedic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine too. All 50 of them...
Valued Member
Australia
85 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I've always been very interested, and chased after, the 1952 pennies with the dot after Australia ( Perth). There are some 5 or 6 varieties ( 7 ? ) of these and finding any in better than VF/VF+ to aEF condition has been a challange for me for over 50 years.
The history of why and how these varieties came to be has been elusive. Fascinating, though, because it's not as though there was a huge quantity of each of the individual varieties being minted.
   Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05