Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1965 1 Cent Pointed/Blunt 5

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 6,616Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
426 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2010  8:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add splatto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is the hardest variety for me to distinguish, and the pictures in Charlton are terrible. There is also discussion on the degree of the slope of the 5 - some say 45, others say 60 degrees.

My points of reference are:
http://goccf.com/t/67362
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...&whichpage=1
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...PIC_ID=13872

Here are two pictures I have determined to be pointed 5s, but I'm not totally convinced. I'd like further opinions if everyone doesn't mind

PIC 1

PIC 2

AND FINALLY.....
Can I get confirmation about the coin I posted in this topic? I think it's a pointed 5 but again I'm doubting myself
http://goccf.com/t/67327
Edited by splatto
09/25/2010 8:08 pm
Valued Member
Canada
426 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2010  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add splatto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alright, better pics provided
Edited by splatto
09/25/2010 8:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1161 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2010  01:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladhunter13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm...hard to tell from the pics. Here is a 65 pointed 5 that I have found. Maybe it will help you for comparison.

Hope it helps.
Valued Member
Canada
426 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2010  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add splatto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what about this one cladhunter?

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10743 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2010  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, splatto.. It looks like your first two pics are "blunt 5s"to me.

The last one you posted, I have been calling "pointed 5s", there is a difference.
Valued Member
Canada
426 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2010  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add splatto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shafta - but are you sure?
Here's a secret

The first pic and the last pic are actually the same coin! (look at the dirt mark on the first leaf)
The first pic is through a 2x2, the lastis a straight on scan.

How can the same coin show a different angle on the 5? - it's gotta be the way the light reflects off of it.

I tend to think that coin is a pointed 5, but it shows nowhere near the degree of points I have seen on other coins, including at http://www.numicanada.com/pieces-de...nt-1965-2010

I almost have no confidence in anyone's ability to identify pointed 5's
lol
Edited by splatto
09/26/2010 3:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1161 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2010  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladhunter13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry splatto.

If you have a pic of the coin with it more upright...that would help. Hard to get a exact determination on the angle of the tip with it rotated. Also...the lighting may change with the rotation to horizontal and make the angle more noticeable. The end of the 5 kinda disappears in the lighting. From what I see of the pics you have...I will say blunt 5. If you can get a pic of the coin with the date horizontal...that would help a lot.

I do not have a high end photo software. I can only rotate it 90 & 180 degrees. It would be nice to have a free range of rotation. Works great for what I need it for though and its freeware.

Sorry I'm not more help.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2010  04:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm really interested in this thread and others about the 1965 varieties too.
I think I found 3 pointed ones, one small bead and two large bead, but will have
to wait until my computer issues are fixed so I can scan from different angles and
see them plus show you people.

By the way, regards the small bead and large bead, if you have a few of this one
and lay them out, then look at them all together, I found that the different bead
sizes were very obvious to me, and easier to spot the differences.

The "pointeds and blunts" 5's NOT so easy without having to look from different
angles, I find.

Am I wrong in thinking that maybe the top of the 5 is also LONGER length for the pointed 5,
than it is for the blunt? It does seem closer to the branch on what looks like my pointed ones.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10743 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2010  06:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well....it looks to me like there are 3 Varieties of the '65

the blunt, pointed at 60%, pointed at 45%..

Whatcha, say all..
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2010  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twincam_04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i'd like to know also, I'm halfway through a box right now and have found 50 of these '65s

i got 2 boxes from the bank near the end of last week, gave one to a co-worker, at last count friday he had found 18 in 8 rolls
Valued Member
Canada
250 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2010  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwoCentsWorth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with SHAFTA9a that there may actually be three varieties of different 5's. I find obviously blunt 5's then ones that are absolutely not blunt...but not pointed as the true pinted 5's are. Finally the pointed 5 variety, which point at about a 45 degrees and jump right out as being pointed.

So maybe:

Blunt
Slanted
Pointed

Those pointed are the most scarce however.

Have fun looking!

$0.02 Worth
Valued Member
Canada
287 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2010  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rikcando to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe this will help cloud the issue some.

This is my ICCS-MS64 Ptd 5

And this is my ICCS-MS65 Blt 5.
Valued Member
Canada
250 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2010  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwoCentsWorth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good photos Ricando. In the pointed 5 it seems that it is almost a double strike or die error that causes the point to appear disjointed in a messy way. In the blunt 5 it is actually angled somewhat cleaner appearance.

Just been my experience.

$0.02 Worth
Valued Member
Canada
287 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2010  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rikcando to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been looking this over and thought I'd pass on pictures of the rest of the '5' and let you make your own conclusions.

Pointed

Blunt
Pillar of the Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2010  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I'm seeing Blunt, angled/Slanted and sharp/Pointed 5's too!
So looks like 3 varieties to me so far too.
Valued Member
Canada
287 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2010  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rikcando to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have only seen the 2 standardized varieties, but I had to get ICCS to confirm them before I knew for sure of what I had. Out of the need for completeness I will post pictures of the entire dates.

Blunt

Pointed
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 6,616Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: