Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1977 D Silver Half - Call Me Crazy!

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2010  01:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hybes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Let me preface this by saying, I have searched tens of thousands of half dollars, found over 1750 silver ones, some obvious some not until I drop them back in the wrapper. But today I found a 1977d Silver Half Dollar, sounds like 40% to me. Am I losing my mind? I have only been in the Coin World for about ten months so I don't know if I am crazy or what. I did a google search and found nothing. Can someone help me out?

http://picasaweb.google.com/1074358...jzK_5hM2dag#

Obviously pics don't do it justice!
Edited by hybes
11/23/2010 02:13 am
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2010  02:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oober to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I read there were some 77 40% halves made in error. Maybe you have one, What is the weight? It should weigh 11.5 gr. 11.34 gr would be a normal non silver half.
Pillar of the Community
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2010  02:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppertop5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
does not look silver ,
post a pic of the side of the coin
also did you do the drop test with a 64-70 40% to see if they sound the same
the cassic ring versus thump sound
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2010  02:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hybes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Let me preface this by saying, I have searched tens of thousands of half dollars" of course I did the drop test. It rings like a 40% and if I shift the coin in the right light I can just make out the copper line. I do not have a scale (or a popsicle stick) so I will have to get back to you on the weight.
Pillar of the Community
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2010  03:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppertop5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a few years back someone thinks they might have found one also
http://forums.wheresgeorge.com/arch...t-68961.html

when google does not provide what you need, always try yahoo next or another search engine
Pillar of the Community
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2010  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppertop5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
from the link above

"The Red Book notes in its introduction to the Kennedy series that silver clad errors exist for 1971D and 1977D "

jesus if this is so , you might be a richer man !
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2010  06:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nvest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very intriguing find - best of luck!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2010  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clairhardesty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1971 and 1977 are the years that one would expect could produce such errors since they follow a year where 40% half dollars were minted (all of the early ones were minted in Denver, I am not sure but I think that all of the bicentennial silver was also minted there). Weight is the most definitive test. Drop sound and other anecdotal tests are not conclusive. While the existence of a copper core clearly means a coin is clad, the lack of visible copper is not proof of silver. Take your coin to a dealer, jeweler, or pawn shop and ask them to weigh it for you. Any of these are likely to have a scale capable of determining the difference. To be sure, take along some known clad and 40% coins to also weigh. This will hopefully clearly show which group the coin in question belongs to.
Pillar of the Community
United States
672 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2010  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Americanamafia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
476 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2010  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DylansDad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks normal CuNi clad to me...but hope I'm wrong for your sake.
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2010  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would take it to a local coin dealer or jewelry store and ask them to weigh it for me if I didn't have a scale.1977-D is a coin that was made in error with 40% but not many are known.
Valued Member
United States
439 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2010  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add monkeyman67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let us know what you find out. This is very interesting.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16333 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2010  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What does the tissue test say?

Weight might be a good first step, but it can't prove aything. Thhe weights of the clad and the 40% silver are close and the mint tolerances are great enough that there is considerable overlap between the two (A weight anywhere from 11.1 grams to 11.9 grams would be within tolerance for either one of them). A specific gravity test would be a better way to go.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
11/23/2010 1:08 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2010  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To my eyes, CuNi clad and silver clad look quite different and that one appears to be CuNi. Weight is almost useless when the tolerances of two coins overlap. Specific gravity would be a much better test as would the tissue test. Even though the Kennedys are only 40% silver, they are clad with the outer layer 80/20 AgCu while the core is 20/80 AgCu.

For the tissue test, place a single layer tissue over a known silver coin- notice that the coin shines bright white through the tissue. Then place the tissue over a known CuNi coin- it will appear dark grey. Rinse and repeat for the half dollar in question and you have you answer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2010  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oblakavshtanax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like cupro-nickel clad to me. put a pic of the rim up. that'll probably prove as definitive as the tissue test.
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2010  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hybes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Uploaded video so you can see what I see and hear what I hear. '77d is the bottom silver one and I included a '66 just for referance. In the video you will hear it and then a slight pause. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27au66HXwxY

Also included a few more photos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/1074358...jzK_5hM2dag#
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05