Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Christmas came early this year...  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3268 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  5:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My wife works as a bank teller. I told her to be on the lookout for any unusual coins. Today she brought home two Ike's, 1971-D and 1972-D. Cool but nothing too special. She also brought home three coins she did not recognize:

One 2001, and Two 2003 U.S. Silver Eagles

Someone apparently cashed them in earlier in the day for face; nobody at the bank recognized they had bullion value. Crazy!

Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing. I just don't understand how this could happen. Even way before I started collecting coins, I would have looked into the possible value of anything "unusual" like that, even if it did only say $1.

Lucky you!
Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oblakavshtanax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
agreed. how the heck can someone not notice that these are at least POSSIBLY more valuable?

i mean you've really got to be cracked/stoned out of your gord not to notice that. but perhaps I'm underestimating the lack of observational skills among people?

i don't know if any of you remember but back in october I had something similar happen.

my girlfriend had accidentally dumped my silver for face WITH all the clad dump coins. the silver was in a box and it had to have weighed about 4-5 pounds. I went back around 3 am when I realized what had happened and guess what? the teller didn't even notice that there was silver in one of the emptier boxes. he just threw it in the dumpster with all the silver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3268 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice grade too I'll hold onto them for a bit in case the person realizes their mistake and comes back for them. If not at least they found a home in a good collection:

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10330 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah.. excuse me, fenton, but I believe I made that mistake and deposited them... you can mail them to me when you have chance.
True North
Pillar of the Community
United States
3268 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 71-D Ike is also a BEAUTY. Not sure these things have any value but it is just a hammer strike dripping with mint luster. Interesting, does not seem to be a proof in hand just one heck of a business strike.

Unfortunately it's a bit marked up but really pretty might get him posted over in the Ike thread:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2660 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that they were stolen by someone who has no clue.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3268 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm perplexed by the Ike there was no proof D Ike in 1971 yet this coin shows fairly remarkable reflectivity and original cartwheel luster perhaps it was one of the first struck? I'm an Ike novice but I think it might be one heck of a find
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well this time of year it could have been spent on purpose because they were scratching all the money they had available to them and maybe they were purchasing a gift for someone that was more important to them than the coin was
Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
best one I heard was a guy around 22 or 23 bought a case of beer at a convience store and used a 20$ gold coin. The clerk seen it and said "I dont think we take these" and asked the manager. The manager said yes and took the coin and made change. Then the manager took it to the coin store and got around $1500.00-- now that is DUMB!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3268 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Ike may be valuable too I believe it is a business strike on a proof planchet and could grade MS 65. The friendly eagle varieties are documented but there isn't too much info, apparently, on other proof planchet struck varieties. Polish level is just too high for it to be a regular 71-d lots of mirror reflectivity
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
they usually get a couple $20 gold coins in the Salvation army kettle each year. This year I think the most has been the guy who put a envelope with $5500.00 in at one time
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2421 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carmykle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember how some of our members tout that knowledge is king...think about it! It's truly sad that morons are oblivious to some circumstances and situations.
Pillar of the Community
United States
588 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Russ789 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After reading this thread I think I am going to date a bank teller. ;-)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3268 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend it

[EDIT: removed picture she might peruse this thread!]
Edited by fenton
12/24/2010 01:26 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
588 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Russ789 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does your wife know about this pic? lol
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05