Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is it still possible to get barbers and mercurys for face?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
497 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  6:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add andrewjconners to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been looking around and have seen lots with some thrown in but I was just wondering. I would rather pay face for barbers and mercurys then rosies just because in the long run, I would think they would carry a premimum? Just looking for some opinions!
Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add littleboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I buy scrap I give about a 10% premium on barbers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3591 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure you don't mean spot or melt ? I wish I could buy mercurys at face. But you can buy mercs and barbers at melt if you keep your eyes open.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2660 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck with that! If you find a source please let us know.
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add x78089 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are willing to pay 10-20% over spot you can pick up the barbers. I usually find Mercs for 0-10% over spot. Hope that helps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1015 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiepb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm getting some Barber halves for a bit below spot, so, yes, it's possible.

To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8796 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2010  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Moe145's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're asking, can you get a Mercury dime for 10 cents or a Barber half dollar for 50 cents, (which is "face") I would give you fairly resounding no. It's not going to happen unless you stumble upon someone who does not know what they have.

From the Glossary here at CCF:

Quote:
face value
The stated value on a coin, at which it can be spent or exchanged. The face value is usually different from a coin's numismatic or precious metal value.

i.e., face equals the stated value of the coin.

"Spot" or "melt" is a different concept.

Quote:
spot price
Generally, the price quoted for "immediate payment and delivery" for an item. In numismatics, the term tends to be used to indicate prices for bullion metal as of the market close of the previous or current day. Certain bulk gold and silver coin prices are quoted as percentages over "spot."

Quote:
melt
Slang term for the intrinsic value of a particular numismatic item.

Spot or melt equal the values of the metal in the coin (silver/gold/copper, etc. price)

Links to ALL previous "Days of..." Threads:
http://goccf.com/t/108352#108352
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15886 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes the good old days of looking in your change for Mercury dimes, Walking Liberty halves or Standing Liberty quarters is a little in the past. Even Indian Head cents were common. And to think when I was a kid that is all there was.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
847 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdh157 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
technically yes - through roll searching. Barbers very difficult, mercs difficult, but it is still happening....several members have listed these finds on the dime roll searchnig thread.
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bowfin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming you meant melt value, Yes, one can still find Mercuries at melt value, they will usually be common dates if you want the higher grades.

I picked up a bunch last weekend for $2 each. That is under melt.

If I am going to pay melt for dimes, I too would much rather have the Mercuries than the Roosevelt's...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3195 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it's entirely possible to get mercs and Barbers at face. It may take a little work though. I've found about 20 mercs this year roll searching (about 1 per $1k dimes searched). Last year I found a total of 6 Barber dimes at face, roll searching.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors
Pillar of the Community
United States
710 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2010  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yinzi50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, but very rarely. I've found 5 Barber halves this month from roll searching. I called it luck!
Pillar of the Community
United States
508 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2010  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Deltron to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Yinzi! I have yet to even find 1 barber. I finally found my first walker after 8-9 months of roll searching and will be astounded when I pull my first barber.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05