Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1979 Copper Jefferson ? And a 1983 Jefferson with Issues  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
429 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  7:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Gutkowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Take a look at this 83 I cant figure it out if its MD or something else the MM looks to be doubled ?
Let me know your thoughts on these please
Thanks,
Matt-

I know its Quite impossible to be copper but figured I would throw this one in the mix also

I even did a little scratch test to see if I could find a silver color
Pillar of the Community
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppertop5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect the copper nickle was heated .

If you heat nickle very high in vinager 550 + it starts to turn copper.
It even has marks on it that look like it was layed on a hot surface say a baking pan.

I know I put some nickles in vinager heated to 550 and for got about um , well 20 minutes later
my whole house stunk !

took out the pan slide the nickles in water this is what I got red powerdery nickles
scrubbed a few off

copper nickles ! some all copper some blotchey some half mainly the side that was facing on the metal pan
I suspect that pan got hot and the metal on metal made the copper start to bleed from the other metals

Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't hold me to this, but the '83 just looks like good old die deterioration all around. So, maybe that's what's going on with the mintmark.

As far as the color....
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25506 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 83-P has machine doubling on the mint mark and die deterioration on the outer devices.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
429 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gutkowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Guys
Valued Member
United States
465 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2010  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rh13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one was the same way,,but didnt look as cool as yours

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05