Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

VAMS And Pricing?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
3075 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I think they become so expensive to even have a TPG touch let alone attribute t hem, If you cant' get the coin for cheap then your spending far more than the coins worth.... paying For example, most COMMON year Morgans in MS63 are valued some where between $30/35 dollars in the holder...If I was to submit my self and pay insurance and registered ect mail.Both ways ...If you give me the coin I still will pay more to get into plastic than its worth....... It only server the TPG's at our expense....As for grading......When have the ever agreed? when has there own system ever been consistent?Do you buy the old Green ones or new yellow ones? tommaorow will it be PINK? will the grading have changed then, surely the prices for submissions and attributions won't, and will they be correct?
KNOW GRADING and buy the coin not the holder unless its a fair price and in the holder, rather than submitting $$$ it for plastic..
Get to know the vams and follow the sales of the ones you want, rather than someone's lists. they are still retail lists, NOT WHAT another VAM dealer will pay between dealer, its no different than the grey sheet...
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, you are most likely right buddy.... that all makes perfect sense to me...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1554 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1893S to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK...here's what I'm getting at...A lot of times on this forum, very knowledgeable and vocal participants suggest quite often having your coins slabbed for value or for you own peace of mind as to the Grade of a coin or to verify a certain characteristic/VAM.(I'm not referring to counterfeit in this post as this isn't what I'm getting at) I find this odd to ask a business that is in business for their opinion on a coins grade, or VAM attribution, when if you consider coin collecting to be your hobby you should be able to do this yourself. Plus it's in a PLASTIC holder and you can really take it out and look at it. It's would be just like putting a painting, classic car, antique, jewelry, etc. in a hard PLASTIC box.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3075 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there are times that putting it plastic is ok, but it must be cost effective. Thats all I am saying, and if you buy a platic holdered coin you should know the grade and value your paying for...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1554 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1893S to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To each their own I guess...I'll date myself now....Back in the day, we took our lumps in regards to collecting...we wised up quick!! ...Cheers Aladin, your input is invaluable.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3075 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2011  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've only tried to put one coin into plastic....1875-CC DDO,Trade Dollar... hummm, came back body bagged ...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3075 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2011  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An old friend once told me, if you can play the point spread(grading system) there is a lot of money to be had.. the "OLD" buy low sell high thing, many coins don't have such a premium between grades but some do,,,,and to the extent....that hundreds of dollars can be gained by a mere grade point.....many coins the difference between MS65 to MS65 will be a hundred dollars or more, 1878-P MS 64 to MS65 triples in value...Why would dealers in general,
(and I'm not calling them thieves) want to grade on the conservative side when buying.....?. To protect there initial investment and have room for profit....So it is also with the TPG's today....the grading has tightened up so drastically one must have a not a MS64 coin to receive an MS64 grade, one must have an ABOVE average 64 coin to get the basic MS64 grade.....a half point higher coin, MS65 must be practically MS66 to receive an MS65 grade today......but thats not whats in the holders from all these years......that we are suppose to accept as there stated grade....so where is the fairness in all of this....... Are we afraid with the economy, that those horders will suddenly flood the market with all of these coins that have been hidden for a hundred years and suddenly to many high grade coins are in the market place and devalue TPG numbers? after all its just business trying to protect(the money) how many of high grade coins are in the market place and the guaranteed values they promote....
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2011  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm afraid ANACS is not doing themselves any good by grading like they are, even though they're doing it "right." It's in a dealer's best interest to get the highest grade they can on a coin they submit.

Yeah, it'll raise the value of yellow slabs in the marketplace, but it won't help them build market share. Think about it.
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2011  12:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, for the average Joe Blow collector, it is sort of a scarey thing sending your coin off and knowing that you will either receive an excessively conservative grade, or just as likely the dreaded "CLEANED" assignment on the label.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3075 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2011  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
as the dealers need to submit to there best interest...its never the fairness of his collectors who get lesser money..
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05