Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why you should collect Newfoundland coins.

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16
Valued Member
Canada
140 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2011  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's great Ken! I'm about half way done through my small cents. Trying to get them in about MS63-64. 1940, 1944, and 1947 are the toughest to get in high grades. My large cents are a mess right now. Have all the dates I think just only a couple grades that I actually want though.

Yotie, I actually ended up talking to the guy on eBay that I purchased my first NFLD coin from and it turns out he has been writing a book for years with population reports and every imaginable variety. It's going to be full colour and from what I've seen so far it's extremely in depth and well researched. I know he's studied tens of thousands of coins. He actually offers me many of the coins that he photographs for his book so I should have a few dozen published coins when his book comes out. Should be early this year. I'll let everyone know for sure.

This is my most recent purchase. I havn't popped it out of the ANACS holder yet. 1894 AU50
Valued Member
Canada
183 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2011  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add david mackenzie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
got most of my newfoundland coins graded from g-4 to ef-40 just missing 1876 and 1885 silver five and 1870 and 1885 silver ten cent pieces.No gold so far.
Valued Member
Canada
371 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2011  02:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kitkat1858 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fredor,

Do you know how that book about Newfoundland coins is available yet? I would be very interested in buying one:)

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1554 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2011  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the super-duper Low mintages for Newfoundland coinage in my Charlton book, I pondered this question:

"What would happen to trend prices for Nfld coins if every coin collector in Canada/U.S. completely stopped collecting what they are currently involved in and switched ALL their money, time, resources, patience, knowledge, will power, and desire towards collecting Newfoundland coinage?"

Glenn

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7178 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2011  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could make a lot of money.
Newfoundland is too recently expired to attract much interest,wait a hundred years or so.
But if you're looking for something affordable to collect....
Edited by DBM
07/02/2011 11:38 am
Valued Member
Canada
371 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2011  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kitkat1858 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A collector/dealer once told me that if just 100 people in the U.S. (or 1 in every 3 million Americans) decided to collect Newfoundland coins agressively, then the price would double.
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2011  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jdgarst0720 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys! I just got my first New Foundland smal cent. I really like the coins!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1007 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2011  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matchbox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jdgarst0720, you're going to discover the Newfoundland cents are addictive. Once you start, you'll have to get them all!

Thanks mostly to this thread I have become very interested in provincial coins. I have all the Newfie small cents and about half of the large cents. Also have been buying other provincial coins as they become available. If you're patient, you can find the prices are not too expensive from many eBay sellers.

I'll keep plugging away at them until I have completed my collection. I haven't started on the other denominations yet but that will come in the future.
Valued Member
Canada
371 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2011  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kitkat1858 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Newfie cents are a good place to start. All of the small cents can be collected in average without shelling out more than a few dollars a coin. Unless, of course, you're looking to complete the re-engraved varieties, and want all the coins to be in high mint-state grades.

One penny that's particularly hard to find in MS-63 Red/Brown or better is the 1944c penny.
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2011  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jdgarst0720 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is interesting! Can you post pics?

Also, how is the best way to find New Foundland coins? I want to start with the cents.
Valued Member
Canada
371 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2011  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kitkat1858 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Usually eBay has lots of NFLD small cents at decent prices, or you could try icollector.com.

Jdgarst0720: What did you want pics of?
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2011  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jdgarst0720 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry! I did not realize that "newfies" and New Foundland coins are one in the same! Duh!
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2011  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ram96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I a lucky enough to have 1880 wo large cent and a 1864 Nova Scotia large cent as well.
Valued Member
Canada
140 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2011  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kitkat, the book is coming along great. He's hoping to have it published in the fall. As far as I know he's just trying to find a publisher now, everything is finished, he's just updating population numbers as he waits for a publisher.
I've picked up quite a few coins these past few months including the ultra rare 1873h 5 cent coin. Got it in a London auction so I was quite lucky price wise. I've just been leaving it in open air for about 4 months now waiting for it to tone. It's about half done. Doesn't look the best right now but it should start turning blue soon. Hoping it finishes at around Christmas.

and here are 3 halves I just picked up too! I'm almost done my half collection in EF. Only a few to go.

]
Valued Member
Canada
371 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2011  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kitkat1858 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fredor,

What Newfie coins are currently on your want list?
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05