Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Creme de la Cremé (of my Pre-decimal collection) Halfcrowns  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
664 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  08:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am not an experienced colelctor.
I am not the owner of the Bentley factory.
I am even not living in the UK.
However, as of today, I took my halfcrowns off the bank vault to photo at home. I took a quick photo to show to my fellow collectors. My halfcrown per type series is the one I am most proud of.
They're nothing special, especially to the eyes of an experienced colelctor. However, here we go, I am sharing them with the entire CCF. :)

[/URL]
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
664 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Close ups with better lighting will follow tomorrow when I have better natural sunshine (as the weather office predicts)
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
664 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
[/URL]
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They're nothing special, especially to the eyes of an experienced colelctor.

Don't shortchange yourself, molydeii, many would be proud to have such a collection! "Experienced" collectors may be after different experiences, I, personally, wouldn't want my circulation coins of previous centuries look like spotless shiny toys.
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah Moly, what svslav said..... I like all of your coins, but especially those earlier worn ones. I like coins with some history to them, and uncirculated coins don't hold much history.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2100 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look into my eyes, no, don't blink. Just listen. Soon you will fall into a light slumber.
Good, can you hear me? Now you can hear no one else.
Repeat after me:

"I will send all my silver to alganbagerap, and when I wake; I won't remember what I've done."
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Close ups with better lighting will follow ...

Quote:
"I will send all my silver to alganbagerap ..."

What, alganbagerap, you think you'd take better close ups?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2100 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eventually, maybe. When I've stopped drooling.
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great group of coins!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Thanks for sharing. I have so much to learn and collect!

Quote:
personally, wouldn't want my circulation coins of previous centuries look like spotless shiny toys.

I agree. Much more character that way.
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
664 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2011  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Look into my eyes, no, don't blink. Just listen. Soon you will fall into a light slumber.
Good, can you hear me? Now you can hear no one else.
Repeat after me:
"I will send all my silver to alganbagerap, and when I wake; I won't remember what I've done."...

Ahahaha... Ahh.. Sweet sweet hypnotism. Alganbagerap, noo I won't let you sell them on eBay!. :) They're happily having a vacation here in Turkey. Who knows what's gonna happen after I die? maybe they'll go back to their homeland.

Well, the weather did permit, but I had a rough week! Didn't really have any time to take some nice photos, but I will this weekend, hopefully, and post them here. I'd love the whole world to see my little half-crown collection. Hey, thanks for your nice comments guys. Half crown is my most favorite type coin in the pre-decimal UK series.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2011  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Say what? Half crown? Oh, you mean Madza Caroon!
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
664 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2011  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here we go..

First coin is a George III Small Head Halfcrown. It is dated 1819 and has an assay(?) mark on the cheek of George. No one really has any idea where this assay mark comes from but, as some of our forum members may know, the assay mark represents "North Dakota" and might be applied there. :)

[/URL]
[/URL]

Second coin is a George IV Halfcrown dated 1826. It's well-circulated but I love teh detail (left) on the obverse of the coin which shows the coat of arms.

[/URL]
[/URL]

Third is a William IV Halfcrown dated 1837. It's the rare year which the recorded mintage was 150,011 The coin, to my eye, seems less worn than a typical circulated 1837 example.

[/URL]
[/URL]

Pillar of the Community
Turkey
664 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2011  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the Young Head Victoria halfcrowns, first one is dated 1879, a tough year to find. It's pretty beat-up but still a problem-free coin. Most probably circulated until early 1900's, maybe as much as 1920, when the purity of British silver coins dropped from %92,5 to %50.
[/URL]

Next, we've got a 1887 Young Head Victoria Halfcrown. It's one of the tough dates too, and better in shape of the previous one. I bought two of those coins, funny story, the one with better shape never turned up.

[/URL]

[/URL]
Edited by molydeii
02/05/2011 08:32 am
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
664 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2011  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of my favoutire, a aUNC 1897 Victoria Veiled head (old head) halfcrown.
It has much lustre left and under 4x it shows almost no marks of circulation, with a little marks of contacts from other coins (bagmarks) on the very high areas such as cheeks of the Monarch. It has a rosy patina on the legend and around the rims (which was impossible to capture with my digital camera)

[/URL]
[/URL]
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
664 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2011  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 1906 Edward VII half crown. One type issued, eyars between 1902-1910. I am currently trying to buy myself a 1904 one, which is a semi key date. This one seems like a solid VF (British grading) and eXF-XF55-56 for US Grading I think.

[/URL]

1915 Sterling silver Half Crown, George V. Unc

[/URL]

1920 %50 Silver Half Crown, George V. Unc with typical green patina. This patina is a guarantee that the coin hasn't been dipped or circulated, as I was told and researched. Actually, a debased silver Halfcrown that good in condition is relatively harder to find a similar one dated 1914-1918.

[/URL]

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05