Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gradeflation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2006  1:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add The_Cave_Troll to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There has been some chatter about the much larger number of 70 grades given by ANACS since the move to the new holder. Is this a function of your personal philosophy being put into action? Or is it something else?

The reason that I ask is that I know a couple of people who used to be ANACS fans who have been troubled by what appears to be looser standards since the change in holders. Can you please comment on those concerns?

Thanks for visiting us again!

Chris
Edited by The_Cave_Troll
09/22/2006 1:38 pm
ANACS President
United States
98 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2006  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add James Taylor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chris,

Thanks for bringing this up. A lot of people have speculated that I brought this practice with me from ICG when I came to ANACS. Let's face it, modern coins are not for everyone--just as I mentioned in an earlier reply is sugar-coated cereal, or, for that matter, American cars. Once people accept that notion, it becomes easier for some to accept 70s.

The way I see it, until 6-8 years ago, darn few coins that were struck after 1964 were ever submitted to coin grading companies. Given the presses that were used to strike pre-1964 coins and the ways planchets were prepared then, I can't imagine many (any?) pre-1964 coins would have graded 70. However, with the Mint replacing its hundred year-old presses in the 1980s and 90s and the Mint demanding higher quality planchets and the Mint producing infinitely better dies and hubs, the quality of the coins they were making was significantly better.

Also, if you can accept 69 as a grade, what do you do when you have a significantly better coin than a 69? I don't think you have a choice but to use the next higher grade.

I hear a lot of people commenting about the prices people pay for a 70. Is it any more outrageous than the $89 Ralph Lauren shirt I'm wearing that was made in Malaysia for probably less than $2. Or how 'bout a $4 cup of latte at Starbucks that runs through your plumbing in 30 minutes?

Maybe I'm as stupid as my 16 year old says I am, but I'm convinced people dress the way they do to look their best--regardless of how repulsive it might be to me--and I'm just as convinced that people spend their money the way they do so it brings them the most.

James
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05