Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Did You Get Started Collecting?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 4,866Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  09:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add zeke5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I remember when I was a kid every Sunday my Dad and I would go to my Grandfathers house and look through bags of cents he would get from the bank. We used to save ALL wheats and any Indians we found and search them later. I have a lot of great memories of POPPOP and his passion for collecting Lincolns. My Dad kind of stopped collecting, but every now and then he still calls me and says "I GOT A WHEATIE TODAY" and we both laugh. I have been hooked ever since I was 5 years old and keep trying to get Dad back into it.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add perhunt29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went to visit my granfather a year ago this June, and he told me he had something he wanted to give me. He left the room and walked in with around 10 pounds of 90% silver. He worked in insurance from 1960-1990 and exchanged all the silver he found in change from insurance payments. I sorted all of the mercs, rosies dimes, SLQ, Washington quarters, franklins, and kennedy's by date and mintmark. Bought a bunch of Whitman folders and filled all of the holes I could and put the rest in the bank. It has been a fun year of reading and learning. I believe I have found a hobby that will stay with me until I die!
Pillar of the Community
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OneBowl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin gifts from the one grandfather: IHCs, 3 cents, Morgan and Peace dollars.

Here's the sad, sad part...being a responsible kid (in ways that didn't involve glass, rocks and a good throwing arm), I deposited all the Morgan and Peace dollars in the bank. I actually thought there was a compartment in the back of the bank labeled Kid OneBowl's money. Then around age 11, I went into the bank, asked to see my coins and received the horrific news. Best guess is I lost 100-150 silver dollars that way.
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Timmy30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got the collecting gene from my parents, as a kid I was subjected to Saturday trips to the
Antique Malls and Flea Markets.
But coin collecting in particular came from my late grandmother.
When she passed she left all of her grandchildren, there are 27 of us on
that side, a silver Peace dollar. I kept it stowed away for about 14 years
and re-discovered it last December. Since then, I have joined the forum, spent countless
hours roll searching and have enjoyed every minute of it. Great topic!
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My inital start was back in 1991 at age 19, I bought a few ASE. Then, as hard times hit I was unabel to pursue the hobby. Then, a little over a year ago I was able to go through my wifes now deceased Dad's collection of coins as he used to own a Coin and stamp shop. I got quite a few nice coins and old Proof and mint sets from him and haven't stopped since. I know he still has a bunch of foreign coins and some Israeli proof sets I'd like to aquire. Makes me wish I had known him longer I know he would appreciate me taking up his hobby.
Pillar of the Community
United States
744 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wild Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am now 43, born in 1968, raised by my maternal grandparents from 1976-1982.

Now, with saying that, I would sit with my grandfather and pull the wheaties from the loose change to fill the cent books I was given. We saved all the pennies in a plastic "Old Milwaukee" beer bottle that was 3 feet tall. I remember 1 in 10 coins being wheaties back then.

My old Lincoln cent books are still at my grandmothers house, unfortunately my grandfather past in 1986.

and I still have the bug....
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Bought a bunch of Whitman folders and filled all of the holes I could and put the rest in the bank.

Quick! Which bank did you put the other 9# of 90% silver in?
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I actually thought there was a compartment in the back of the bank labeled Kid OneBowl's money.

You must be a bit younger than I (59). At 11, banks could still get in dollars.

I remember that feeling. I went to get some cents to sort through and hit them during a shortage. Hey, where are all the ones I brought down and put in my savings account? I thought banks were safe places for your money!
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here are a few topics that has been discussed before about this topic
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...PIC_ID=39603

http://goccf.com/t/72727
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19352 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
here are a few topics that has been discussed before about this topic

I knew someone would remember how many times this one came up. Just don't know how you find them.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
524 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BLUESZONE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My father passed when I was 15. A little later that year my mother handed me a couple of Morgans and a few silver quarters he had stashed away. It peaked my interest so I talked to my great grandmother who was a avid coin collector. She let me look through jars of Mercs,LWC,Buffs and V nickels. I was hooked after that. Been collecting ever since. At one time she had a 1916d Merc. but she told me she kept it in her purse and one day her husband went through it looking for something and put all of the change in a bowl on the mantle. By the time she found out she could see where one of the kids had walked by and grabbed a handful of change from the bowl. Never saw the Merc. again. She was born in 1907 so most of what she had was taken out of spare change. She was smart enough to realize the value way ahead of most people.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1812 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I was 5 or 6, my granddad took me to see an old Army buddy of his that lived 3 hours away. He was an avid coin collector, and showed me a vista of Eden that remains with me to this day: a complete date run of 1878-1891 Seated halves. Whether they were business strikes, XF, AU or even proofs, I don't know, they were just the most beautiful things to my delighted and innocent eyes. When we left, he gave me an 1887 silver dollar, which I still have and reminds me of the great times I had with my poppop and his interesting friends with all sorts of amazing and colorful stories to tell.
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chadwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My father kept a small box in his drawer with mementos from his past. WW2 ID card, early photos of Brooklyn NY, a few raw and polished gems, and some old coins. The coins were not anything particularly special, a Peace dollar and a few halves and dimes. I knew the coins were silver and old, but mostly I thought they were beautiful. After my father passed away I searched for that old box of treasure and discovered that the coins were stolen years earlier. I was very disappointed and saddened.
I put the coins and my interest in them in the back of my mind for many years after that. Then a miracle happened. My girlfriend became pregnant. Now I am determined that my son, and only child of my own, will have that coin collection from his daddy. Silly motivator I supposed, but still it motivated the heck out of me. Somehow I want to make right the coins stolen from me by making sure the coins my son will inherit far exceeds the collection I didn't get too inherit. Plus, I really enjoy the hobby. The attention to details, the history, the luster of a beautiful coin. I could go on, but I think I've gone on enough already.

:)
Edited by Chadwick
03/29/2011 1:58 pm
Valued Member
United States
444 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I (i was about 6) started collecting odd coins when my grandmother gave me a bicentennial half dollar one day after church. I started collecting one of every coin I could find. Then on my school bus someone threw an old mexican peso (old peso). Then that fueled my collecting to look more at just types and I started looking at years and started researching. Then one day I walked into my local coin store (the guy died a year ago and the shop closed down three years ago) and saw a big 5 gallon bucket with coins in them. I asked the coin store owner what he was going to do with that bucket and he offered it to me for $50 because he did not want to go through it all. So I bought it (30 lb of world and US coins) and sorted it and then researched all US coins. I went through and sorted them (still doing that after three years) and took out the silver and sorted them into countries and if I had enough I would sort those into a binder by continent. I am now hooked and I started roll searching about two years ago. I have got my entire kennedy set from circulation (including 1970d and 1987 p and d) through 2004. I am happy with my life choice. I do get made fun of sometimes (even my ex girlfriend made fun of my hobby and tried to get me to tone it down) but I dont care because I know what I am looking for and will find things that many people call just a coin. Such as 40% halves. all my friends say its $.50 and I tell them its current price is 10 times face value. It is a good practice and I will try to pass this Hobby of Kings to my kids. I am 19 and I hope to finish my type collection sometime in the future. Its going good so far.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6270 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back in the 60's I had come across a 1921-s cent. I was fascinated by the age and with the help of a pocket coin pricing book I found it had a value of 25 cents! Some how this struck an accord with me and I have been a collector ever since. Now it is mainly purchases of attractive coins. Long gone are the days of pocket change finds, except for the occasional Wheat cent, which brings me back to full circle.
Learn More...
United States
87966 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2011  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1978 my father brought home two Eisenhower dollars and gave them to me. I had never seen a dollar coin before, but my interest began that day. Yes, I still have the two Eisenhower dollars! My mother started buying me folders, books, and magazines to feed my interest and would take me to the local coin shop on occasion. My parents would also let me search their change to fill the folders.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 4,866Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05