Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lucky Money 8.8.8.Set from BEP store

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
64 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2011  5:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rickmp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It's a set of $1, $2 and $5 bills with matching serials.
I'm thinking of buying some of these, but want some opinions first. I'm mostly interested in the possibility of fancy serials. Your opinions are appreciated.
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2011  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Bill Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always been under the impression that no one can just make up a real collectors items. The item usually has to become one over time or because of some other thing. I think it's somewhat like errors, if the BEP just made them up and sold them to who ever wanted them what would they be worth ?. If that was the case all anyone has to do is buy up a bunch of what ever they wanted and be done with it. It's not like you can pick the serial numbers you want, correct ?, and even if you could they would only be important to you so why would a currency collector care ?.
The Bill Collector
Pillar of the Community
United States
1285 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2011  05:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ceylon62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've always been under the impression that no one can just make up a real collectors items

Those are my sentiments exactly. However, once in a while there are collector sets put out by the BEP / US mint which are worth while getting into. It's trying to sort out which one would be collectible / appreciate in value is the key.

For instance the matched SN $2 star set from a few years ago has held it's own.

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2011  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny2dollar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought that set. It really is not all that interesting. I only acquired it to get teh $2 note to go along with the Double Lucky Money set I have.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JeffersonTwo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have two of these sets. Does anyone know if there was any engraving error in these sets? Anything rare, other than the string of 8's? Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8758 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive necro-bump.

An eBay search (albeit a cursory one) doesn't turn up much. Hard to say, but I'd guess face.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JeffersonTwo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the response Celtic. I was hitting the Google and eBay pretty hard and didn't find any listed errors. Even poking around on the BEP site. One of the sets has a post it from the previous owner saying 500 sets, engraving error. Post it could be wrong, misplaced etc, but thought this board would know. Thanks again!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1456 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CCF.

I have this set, 8.8.8. Luck Money, and am not aware of anything that would add any value to the set except maybe fancy serial numbers.
Learn More...
United States
61450 Posts
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JeffersonTwo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Steve in Tampa. Everyone is so friendly!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1456 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome JeffersonTwo.

This subject was also being discussed on another forum today, and I commented that I wondered why the BEP named it the 8.8.8. Lucky Money set when all the notes I've ever seen in this set start with 8888.

I got my answer....I learned it got its name from the rollout date, August 8th 2008.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JeffersonTwo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mismatch of 8's (dates versus serial #) was/is a bit confusing. Moreover, the Chinese #21513;#21033;#38065; simply means "lucky money" but the Beijing opera motif is generally not associated with luck, like flying bats, or fish, but I digress. Anyway, looks like we are in agreement that there is no real hidden value. Thanks again, very friendly place.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05