Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Should I Do With What I Have?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2011  11:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add eric273 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been sorting my pennies by:

1 pile for zincs to be re rolled
1 pile for Coppers(pre 81) (My question is what to do with this pile.) I have like 16 fl oz (water bottle size)
1 pile of Rares (Wheat pennies, Canadians, 2009, 2010, 2011, and S mints
The only pennies that I rolled (Other than the zincs I am returning) are the 2010p's because I really want a roll of only 2010ps for some reason.
Where should I go from here

I need I want to reach my next in coin counting and no be

Pillar of the Community
United States
1307 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2011  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm... The question is: Do you want to hoard copper pennies, know they're woth 3 cents each, but illegal to melt? In my opinion, they will probably fade from circulation without the melt ban being lifted, and the price of copper seems like an unending circle.. So, I stopped saving them, but there are many others here who do..

It's all up to you
Edited by coinsearcher83
04/09/2011 07:53 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
594 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2011  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenRingold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd dump the copper and zincs. I'd dump the Canadian too unless you want to collect those also. I do. Then start looking for these;

Lincoln Cent roll searching picks;

All Wheat, Indian Head, and S mint cents
1959 D
1959 D/D/D large/small rpm
1960 small date
1960 D small date
1960 D/D rpm
1960 D/D large/small DDO rpm
1961 D
1961 D/Horizontal D rpm
1962 D
1963 D
1968 D
1968 S
1969 S
1970 S large and small date
1970 S/S rpm
1971 DDO
1972 DDO
1972 S
1973 D
1973 S
1974 D
1974 S
1975 D
1976 D
1982 Seven varieties
1983 DDR
1984 DDO
1984 Doubled ear
1992 CAM
1992 D CAM
1994 DDR
1995 DDO
1997 DDO
1998 WAM
1998 S CAM
1999 WAM
1999 S CAM
2000 WAM
2006 DDO
Edited by KenRingold
04/09/2011 10:39 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4897 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2011  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^I agree. I don't save coppers either.
Nice thing about this hobby is do or save whatever you like.
If your inclined to varieties you should get a copy of ken potters book or the cherry pickers guide.
Figure out what interests you most...there really is no right answer. That being said the others here have given you a good start!
Valued Member
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2011  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chriscoinmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
***one thing about the canadian pennies is that in Canada they have some kind of buy back program where they take all the old pennies out of circulation to remelt. In buffalo where I am I get a ton of them and save anything I get that is minted before 1964
another thing I did when I started was separate what you find into separate rolls. Wheats go in one, S mints in another
fill a roll with fifty, stash it away and start a new one.
Now that I have a ton of coins I actually separate the Wheats and S mints by date and mint mark
also when I search my pennies I just pull what I want from the roll, and have a cup of other crummy pennies next to me to replace anything I pull out and keep. I just reroll the coins and drop my box back off at my dump bank
I don't separate all the coins in piles, that would take me far too long
coppers are up to you, its all about what you want to collect and save
as for me I make a roll of each date and mint mark of Lincoln memorial cents. Not really hoarding the copper but fun just the same
what do you want to collect as a collector is what its all about
Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2011  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willy13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion is do NOT dump the copper...:)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1150 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2011  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ban on melting copper/nickel coins COULD or could not go away when we see a change in coin composition in the not-too-distant future. Only time will tell...but you aren't losing anything by holding onto the copper cents.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1348 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2011  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add w1a9c8k5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hold those coppers. the worst case you can sell them on here for a pinch over their face value and shipping
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2011  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add warsumm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd hold the copper, keep them in gallon milk jugs, and hide them in some corner of the basement out of view and forget about them. I go after errors, varieties, die gauges etc. also, it's been a lot of fun to keep a separate container for all the BU cents(I keep from 2000 and prior) I keep all the 1983 cents until I get a scale(to weigh for a possible copper penny) and I keep all of the mildly off-center pennies to sell in large lots. There's a TON to do with the Lincolns, Thats why they're so addicting.
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2011  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tornandfrayed75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I search for those that KenRingold listed and I also keep the copper until I get $25.00 face value then sell them on eBay.
It helps pay for more coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2011  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are, or become, an "avid" Cent searcher, like 2 or 3 BOXES a week or so, year after year, and you decide to save EVERY pre-'82 Cent, YOU'RE GOING TO NEED 173 -- FIFTY GALLON EMPTY OIL DRUMS PER YEAR TO STORE THEM ALL ! .....
If you constantly do quick eBay sales or Craigslist or whatever to get rid of them .....that could work too.

If you intend to be a "hoarder" of Coppers......good luck with THAT !

But, if you just snag the occasional Copper from the days pocket change.....or you're just gonna search a few dollars worth of rolls a week or so....then it's no big deal to "save all the Coppers". Any ol' jug will do....
But THERE ARE A MASSIVE AMOUNT OF COPPPERS OUT THERE IN THE WILD TO BE HAD !
They aren't rare....they aren't hard to find in huge quantities if you search enough of them.
So if this is your intention...to hoard them......I'd suggest that you start thinking about "storage" for your Coppers ! Because it will be (or grow to be) quite the issue.

As far as (what to do with them?)**(all your Lincolns)**....well, you should get a coin album to house them. You can get albums for your Wheaties, and Memorial Cents..... clear up to the 2011 Shield Cents. And the "extra's" or "duplicates" of Wheats or whatever can be put into "coin tubes".... **(No Zip Files Allowed)** -lock baggies.....or various airtight containers. You can collect them this way by Date, by Mintmarks, by condition, by color....etc. etc. etc.
Same with any B.U. Cents you find...

I do keep every Canadian Cent, Nickel, or Quarter that I find while roll searching. I don't avidly "collect" Canadian coinage "officially", as of yet, but I intend to in the future, so that's why I just keep adding to my stock of them.
Edited by eaglefoot
04/09/2011 11:51 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2011  03:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
warsumm-

Harbor freight has scales that will do the job for about $13. Many wholesale flea market suppliers, too.

Trick: You don't have to check coins singly, five at a time is fine. If there's a copper one, the total weight will take an obvious jump.
Pillar of the Community
United States
659 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2011  04:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add penny man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
pile for Coppers(pre 81) (My question is what to do with this pile.)

find some jars and fill them up until all your money is in copper. Then start selling.
edited because I need to learn how to type.
Edited by penny man
04/10/2011 04:49 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2011  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I keep all the 1983 cents until I get a scale(to weigh for a possible copper penny)

It's the 1982 coins that include both zinc and bronze versions. That's the date to check for weight (3.1 grams for bronze, 2.5 grams for zinc).
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2011  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For my pre-1982 copper I do hoard. But after taking a look for errors/varieties I roll them up into year/MM rolls, label them, and then store them. Some might see that as a waste doing the rolling, but I enjoy it. If I ever learn more about errors/varieties I can always easily pull out some rolls for that year and research them. It's also nice knowing exactly what I have stock piled and what I don't. I also don't mind putting some time into them because I'm not going to melt mine. I simply see them as the next Wheat penny.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05