Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2007 LMC , Must See !

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2011  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I see here is two pictures with blinding glare and a third picture with a pinkish orange tint, none of which are sufficient to authenticate an unplated planchet error. A picture should be taken with a properly set white balance and a normal Zincoln should be next to the coin in question. One was posted yesterday, look at that post to see what a difference good pics can make for authentication.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1204 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2011  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ricardocody to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Biokimist I saw the other one you are talking about and mine is the same just in higher grade and caring more luster be ause have no ware !
I ll post some pics next to different coins .
Btw I have weigh on a electronic scale today and the scale showed 1.6 p ( the jeweler told something like 1.6 pennygrams) so I asked him to weigh another penny and the result was the same 1.6 p-grams .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1204 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ricardocody to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here some pics next to a zincoln and a stiller so we compare if is uncoated or not .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3942 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, this has been plated.

rust should definitely not be on the coin.

any rusting is evidence of tampering
Pillar of the Community
United States
1204 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ricardocody to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep ! You are right the 1943 is plated ! Lol just kiddin , I done talking about this coin .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3592 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AdamE...glad to see I'm not the only one
Learn More...
United States
84101 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2011  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could be that the copper wash used to plate this cent was contaminated with a significant amount of zinc, making it (and other that were plated at the same time) appear much lighter than normal.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2011  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am almost certain it is not an unplated planchet, the color is just not right. As you can see from the 1943, zinc has a distinct silvery blue hue but your 2007 has a pinkish-orange color. Jbuck mentions one possibility and I have seen many Lincolns with a plating lighter in color than normal.

Another possibility is that your coin has been heated which can also impart a lighter silvery color to a normal Zincoln. What you see as "rust" would be cuprous oxide which will form as a spotty reddish compound when copper is heated.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05