Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1839 $ 50 Texas Bill Verification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  09:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I picked this bill up yesterday at an auction. It was hidden in the bottom of a box along with the actual coins I bid and won on.

This may turn out to be a lucky find or just an exercise in futility.

Please review the scans and indicate what you think this note is and whether or not it is authentic.

If it turns out to be authentic, I would like to know what sort of price a note like this is worth in today's market.

Thanks
mdpmedia
Pillar of the Community
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One other piece of info that may be helpful is the dimension of the note:

7 1/8" x 3"

Valued Member
United States
343 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It look like your serial number is 5962. It is listed at http://www.crutchwilliams.com/Bogus...tml#REPUBLIC. This site list bogus CSA notes Texas republic notes. It is a great site.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You do not even need to know the serial number to see that it is only a replica but the crutchwilliams site is awesome for the less obvous replicas and fakes. The artificially aged parchment is a dead giveaway, rag paper is almost always used for notes due to durability issues.

This one might have been part of a series of replica notes along with the 1840 $1000 Bank on the US note, someone posted one of them a couple weeks ago- http://goccf.com/t/86379
Edited by biokemist6
05/05/2011 3:42 pm
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2011  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OrientMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just came across one of these in my dads coin/bill collection and was wondering how I could tell how much and if it really is authentic.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2011  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OrientMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh I am new here to so pointing me around here would be nice since I have other coins and bills to identify and value too. But about the republic of Texas one I saw a serial number looking like 6767.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2011  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OrientMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh biokemist6. I saw that your profile pic has a gold coin. I tried to email you a question about it. But I can't email because of my account is so new. I found a coin that looks identical to the coin in your profile pic and wanted to ask you more about the coin.
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2011  05:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found a coin that looks identical to the coin in your profile pic

his avatar shows the Reverse of a $5 Liberty Half Eagle minted from 1838-1908

Quote:
But about the republic of Texas one I saw a serial number looking like 6767.

Are you sure its not a $5 note, because 16767 is also a known copy. A picture or a more precise description would be required to help you any further than this, but that site posted above is a pretty good site to see if any notes with the same serial numbers as the ones you have found are known copies of notes
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2011  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OrientMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK Trying to upload a pic.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2011  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OrientMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok here is the pics of the $50 note and the $5 dollar coin.

Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2011  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Whytlash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:

I found a coin that looks identical to the coin in your profile pic

his avatar shows the Reverse of a $5 Liberty Half Eagle minted from 1838-1908

Actually, the reverse shown is of a Colorado Territorial Gold piece. It's an 1860 five dollar gold coin minted by Clark, Gruber & Co.

More information can be found here http://www.rfrajola.com/mayergold/mayergold.htm

Steve
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2011  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OrientMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whytlash. Ha your right looking closer to his avatar pic it does say denver on it. and looking at mine it does say United States of America
Pillar of the Community
656 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2011  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
td5173 I read the serial number as 5960.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2011  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OrientMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have to agree with TD5173 that the serial number is 5962. at least thats what I see.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2011  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, my avatar is a $5 Clark Gruber Colorado Territorial gold coin, similar design but much rarer than an ordinary Half Eagle.

The first Texas note is certainly a reproduction regardless of what the serial number looks like. The second Texas note looks like it could very well be genuine but I do not know much about it. Bigger pics of both sides would be helpful. Your $5 gold is an 1893 Half Eagle, it appears to be in at least AU(almost uncirculated) condition would would give it a value of around $500.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2011  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yankee1227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup 1st one is fake while the 2nd one looks to be authentic but not really sure.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05