Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Spreadsheet Question

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 4,727Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  7:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add StormStrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I guess you could classify me as something of an information junkie. So in making a spreadsheet to inventory all my coins, my mind started going a little crazy and I thought well what if I could track (I realize it will not be precise, just a general idea) the silver value of my coins and so forth.

I am already setting up the sheet to not mintage number, the physical location and link to an image of the coin. I mean I could literally sit here and probably go crazy with this. When I get into that mindset and I actually realize it I have gotten used to and learned its best to stop, take a breath and to consult with others where I can.

So here I am. If you were creating an inventory spreadsheet from scratch what all would you include in it? Is there 'extra' information you wish were in yours but not? Help me out please.
Valued Member
United States
273 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadanz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had a pretty extensive Excel spreadsheet I used to use I can send you if you want. It kept track of Silver Value over time (updated every two weeks). These were the values it kept track of. New sheet for each currency:

ID Coin Type Face Year MM Variety Album Cost Purch Date Purch Place P/U Grade FMV ASW Ag$ Prem%

Like I said I could send it to you if you like. However, I've long since abandoned the Excel spreadsheet for an online database I created. It's linked in my signature, however there are no test spots currently available. If you'd like to get a spot email me at stephenglauser[--at--]gmail[--dot--]com. It tracks all of the above automatically and is much, much more powerful.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19337 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As with most I use an Excel spreadsheet. However, it is now much different than when I first made one. At first I made columns for everything. Denomination, date, mint, grade, purchase price, found in change, date of aquisition and on and on and on. Then one day I said to myself, SELF, why. And I then reduced it all to type, date, mint mark. All else takes up to much space and time at least for me.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StormStrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just carl, I think it was you I recalled mentioning something like that that made me think to myself about how inclusive or complicated I wanted this and to not just think of that but about looking forward some and that it would be all cool and such now, but what about down the road. Would it still be cool and functional or just cool, LOL.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1716 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The_Duke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is what in my Access Database
1. Unique ID (inventory #)
2. Date
3. Mint (P, D, S, etc.)
4. Location (2x2, album, etc). This helps me find them.
5. Denomination (Cent, Nickel, quarter, etc.)
6. Type (Lincoln Wheat, Lincoln Memorial, Buffalo, etc.)
7. Notes
8. Grade
9. Qty (mostly singles, but do have rolls)
10. Price Paid
11. Retail (NMV value, don't update too often)
12. Sales price (if I sell, what did I sell for)
13. Upgrade (if in a Album, is it a coin I'm planning on upgrading?)
14. Sell? Am I planning on selling it?
15. Mintage. I started putting this in, but I find it tedious and not very useful. I may delete this one.

Most categories have pull-down menus so I don't have to type much in.

Using Access allows me to write queries and reports to show various sorted things: Upgrade list, Sell list, My Album for Lincolns, etc. It's these sheets I bring to the coin shows for use as my want lists.
Edited by The_Duke
05/25/2011 8:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StormStrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I had a pretty extensive Excel spreadsheet I used to use I can send you if you want. It kept track of Silver Value over time (updated every two weeks). These were the values it kept track of. New sheet for each currency:

ID Coin Type Face Year MM Variety Album Cost Purch Date Purch Place P/U Grade FMV ASW Ag$ Prem%

Like I said I could send it to you if you like. However, I've long since abandoned the Excel spreadsheet for an online database I created. It's linked in my signature, however there are no test spots currently available. If you'd like to get a spot email me at stephenglauser[--at--]gmail[--dot--]com. It tracks all of the above automatically and is much, much more powerful.

I would like a copy of the spreadsheet if I could trouble you to send a copy. However I am equally interested in in the database. I would probably still do a spreadsheet as some kind of back up and just because I like to learn, particularly about spread sheets since it can come in handy for so many things.

My email is mykrazyemail AT gmail DOT com. I will email you also for a spot if one comes available for the on line database.
Learn More...
United States
14451 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't use Excel to keep a detailed list of all the coins. I just have 3 sheets with only a few columns. One sheet lists the sets I am working on and their status (complete or missing 2 coins), one sheet lists current and past orders, one sheet lists those coins I am missing and their price at various coin sites.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Edited by Fuzzy317
05/25/2011 8:08 pm
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StormStrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Duke, I know amazingly little about spreadsheets, I know much much less about making databases. I can usually take a spreadsheet and discect it a little and see how they do what they do, why the formulas are as they are and why and then make one using that information customized to my application. However, I would not even know where to begin with an Access database.
Valued Member
United States
273 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadanz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would like a copy of the spreadsheet if I could trouble you to send a copy. However I am equally interested in in the database. I would probably still do a spreadsheet as some kind of back up and just because I like to learn, particularly about spread sheets since it can come in handy for so many things.

I've emailed you a copy of the spreadsheet. Let me know how it works out!
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StormStrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you sir, much appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1156 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2011  02:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I do my spreadsheet in Excel, and include in this spreadsheet ONLY those silver coins which are my extreme favorites, those that I can't sell or trade. All the rest of my coins NOT listed, they are tradeable and saleable.

Data of course is similar to Krause, Country, Denomination, material, %Ag, ASW, Diameter, thickness, coin grade, obtained from, price obtained, date obtained, actual picture of the coin, comments

You'l need a USB microscope for the picture taking, takes too much software switching if by digital camera.

Also, theres another way, just post your coin's notes and pictures in an internet gallery site, (Like coin community) that way you can take a look wherever in the world you may be, and it doesn't get lost! Nor gets virus erased

Hope that helps

Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2011  03:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StormStrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nic, your info does help. I think, though, I have come up with a strategy that will work for taking the pictures. Well I believe it will work for me but I have yet to put it into practice and it may get refined a little. I figured I'm going to need pictures for insurance purposes so I'm going to get a copy stand and a light box and just use my DSLR to take the pictures, keep them on a separate USB hard drive along with the spreadsheet and just use links to pull up the images in their default software. I've already made test runs that look to work really well so we'll see how it goes on a larger scale.

I should be able to get some pretty detailed pics with the lenses I have, if not I'll invest in a USB microscope of some kind.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19337 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2011  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
just carl, I think it was you I recalled mentioning something like that that made me think to myself about how inclusive or complicated I wanted this and to not just think of that but about looking forward some and that it would be all cool and such now, but what about down the road. Would it still be cool and functional or just cool, LOL.

I used to make print outs of my Excel coin spreadsheets. I still have some from a long, long time ago. I also kept some of the really old ones I made by hand when I was a kid. They are fun to look at even now. I found the problem with much of the info was it really just no longer mattered. For example I don't care how much a coin cost me 25 years ago. I don't care what the value was 17 years ago either. Nor who or where I purchased a coin from. Next I know I'm a lousy grader of coins since I was raised on only a G, F, Unc or Proof system. After that, I just about give up so started to leave that info off also. And as the collection grew, to many just guesses anyway. And as a collection grows extensively, such a complicated spread sheet could turn into a massive book all by itself.
I guess as one gets older all those little bits of info mean less and less. However, it is sort of interesting to see how one thought of their hobbby a long time ago. Such detailed records show a real interest when younger.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
87597 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2011  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My current spreadsheet has...

- Date-Mint-(Variety)
- Current value (which is not only current; I update it when I am bored)
- Date Acquired
- Amount paid
- Grade
- Notes (like where purchased or other sentimental information)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5338 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2011  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My spreed sheet has ,
Year,MM,Variety,Mintage,Status(# I have),Kids(if they put a coin in their album)Grade,Comments,and Paid.
So far it works for me.
Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2011  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuffaloBonehead to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love spreadsheets for coins.

The only problem is that I'm more enthusiastic about buying the coins and watching the spreadsheet than I am about spending the time to update it.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 4,727Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05