| Author |
Replies: 23 / Views: 653 |
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
4008 Posts |
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1850 Posts |
Can't help specifically with your penny, but I had sent one in for attribution a while back: came back as a doubled master die. Here's part of what John wrote back to me: "I always look for the die gouge inside the upper S in TRUST to identify this one." (to ID it as the doubled master) My pic of the die gouge isn't very good in my post, but at least it will give you the location to look. https://goccf.com/t/488645&SearchTerms=1972,penny, DDO
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
4008 Posts |
Thanks snailking. I am not seeing that gouge though. I also meant to apologize for my photography skills (or lack of). 
Edited by Scooby Due 10/03/2026 3:29 pm
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2889 Posts |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
6905 Posts |
Your phone is too close to the coin to focus properly. You can't fill the whole frame with the coin. It works much better if you back off, get the coin in proper focus, and then crop the image.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
4008 Posts |
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79456 Posts |
 Back to CCF! I'm pretty sure it's a DDO, but I'm not sure which one it is. The pictures aren't clear enough to see the doubling clearly.
Errers and Varietys.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
107820 Posts |
 to CCF wow, your close up images are really no good to help you - it is like looking into a fog bank. I use my cell phone to get my image but I hold my phone about a foot and a half, then zoom in up to a factor of about 4 or 5.
|
|
New Member
United States
2 Posts |
It looks like IGWT is doubled in the CCW direction. So look at DDOs 2,4,5 & 7 -- Likely #2 or #7 but, if it turns out to be #4 then rejoice, because that one is rare.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------- edit: looks like Coin rejector might have nailed it [#7]
Wexler/VarietyVista marker: die dot below N in UNUM, check for the lower lip die dot
Edited by Centwise 10/04/2026 01:54 am
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
9011 Posts |
Quote:Can't help specifically with your penny, but I had sent one in for attribution a while back: came back as a doubled master die. Here's part of what John wrote back to me: "I always look for the die gouge inside the upper S in TRUST to identify this one." (to ID it as the doubled master) My pic of the die gouge isn't very good in my post, but at least it will give you the location to look. https://goccf.com/t/488645&SearchTerms=1972,penny, DDO I have brought this up multiple times, if the B and R have a level top, it's not the doubled master die and this one has the level, not sloped tops. Very easy to see, even in very worn coins and dies. 
-makecents-
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
9011 Posts |
Definitely a counterclockwise rotated doubled die though. Better pics would be great.
-makecents-
Edited by -makecents- 10/04/2026 02:23 am
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1850 Posts |
Quote: if the B and R have a level top, it's not the doubled master die Good to know! (Sorry, either missed [or forgot  ] that)
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
4008 Posts |
Edited by Scooby Due 10/04/2026 8:37 pm
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79456 Posts |
Those pictures are better. Thank you, Scooby Due.  I'm thinking that you have WDDO-007. Make sure to match the known die markers for WDDO-007.
Errers and Varietys.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
4008 Posts |
That's my problem. I can't find any die markers that match any of the DDO's.
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79456 Posts |
It's possible that it could be a different die stage.
Errers and Varietys.
|
| |
Replies: 23 / Views: 653 |