Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. 300,000 items to help build your collection! Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsCoin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Coin ID Help, Cross On Banner?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,251Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
chrsmat71's Avatar
United States
5010 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  7:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Hi coin experts!

I'm new to coin collecting so please excuse if there is a very simple answer to this question, but I'm stumped on this coin.



Not the best shape but on the front I can pick out ?NTIVS? there between 1 and 3 o'clock, so one of the Constantines, Constantius , or C. Gallus, but the back has got me.



Soldiers with 1 standard but I it looks like a cross on the banner, and I can't find a coin to match that (I did find an emperor holding a cross on banner, but not soldiers) with those rulers. Or is that not a cross? Maybe a deteriorated Chi Rho or something else I'm mistaking for a cross?



Thanks a bunch!

Chris


Coin-ID-Help,-Cross-On-Banner?

Coin-ID-Help,-Cross-On-Banner?
Moderator
Learn More...
echizento's Avatar
United States
23731 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community.

Constantine II, Constantius II and Constans issued coins with the cross on the banner. From what I can make out from the legend I believe it's Constantius II,Trier mint.
Pillar of the Community
chrsmat71's Avatar
United States
5010 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your help!

Pillar of the Community
Bing's Avatar
United States
4253 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only coin I find that is a match for what you have provided is a Constantius II, RIC VIII Trier 39:

OBV: FL IVL CONSTANTIVS AVG
REV: GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS

Pillar of the Community
chrsmat71's Avatar
United States
5010 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,251Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Forums