Picked this up at a bankrupcy sale here in Sweden. Coin was attached to a INS graded certificate. On the backside of the certificate, there was a picture of the coin in the INS slab.
And, sad, but true, with attacked, I mean ATTACHED. It had velcro glued to the back of the coin, hance the glue residue. Got rid of the velcro, but wondering what to do with the residue. Acetone? Will it remove the toning of the coin as well?
Try to remove the glue with distilled water first. If that does not work, then acetone should get rid of it but acetone will not touch the toning. Make sure you rinse with fresh acetone after removal of the glue. I agree with amida that the obverse appears to have been wiped/lightly polished, there is a "halo" around the stars and I can see hairlines behind the head next to UNUM.
bio, you might be right. the halos around the stars though seems to be the toning. The color of the pic is way misrepresented. Artificial lighting *sigh*
Let's just hope acetone works for the glue, I bet it's over 20 yrs old. What's more hard core than acetone? Hexane? I work as a chemist so I have access to all kinds of scary solvents
Welcome! Sorry to hear about the coin glue, everyones right here in suggesting acetone. If its just glue you're worried about, any kind of alcoholic solvent could work as well... rubbing alcohol..etc. As far as anything more hardcore then acetone, I wouldnt go that route because it could greatly degrade the surface of the coin.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use