Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsJoin Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Specializing in Modern Numismatics Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall 300,000 items to help build your collection!








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1904 Bright Farthing?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 1,301Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
bibd's Avatar
Canada
838 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2014  03:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bibd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I am a not-too-serious collector of UK copper and bronze, but I had a 1904 "bright finish" farthing variety on my list, and grabbed what appears to be one in a junk 50 cent box of world coins at my local shop.

In hand, this looks very similar to post-darkening farthings. I can also tell you that I have found a few nicer-grade examples of Edward VII and George V bronze coins in that same location. My local dealers mostly disregard these coins as they are after gold and silver.

1904-Bright-Farthing?

Are these scarce? Are they frequently faked somehow? Does mine look like the real deal? Any advice would be much appreciated!


Edited by bibd
07/07/2014 1:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
Pertinax's Avatar
United Kingdom
2145 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2014  04:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've not heard of a bright finish variety for Edward VII circulation farthings and I've never seen one.

The proofs are undarkened but I don't know of a 1904 proof.

An unblurry photo of both sides would help.
Pillar of the Community
bibd's Avatar
Canada
838 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2014  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bibd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll get a better photo soon. Done.

One reference for a bright 1904 farthing is right here on CCF: https://goccf.com/t/160361
The third post on that thread indicates the existence of bright finish farthings in 1897, 1901, 1904.
Edited by bibd
07/07/2014 1:50 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 1,301Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to rattle this change. Forums