Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsCoin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. 300,000 items to help build your collection! Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

2004 ASE, Possible Struck Through Thread?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 895Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Spider5689's Avatar
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2007  10:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Spider5689 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I purchased this Proof ASE directly from the US Mint in 2004. When I received the ASE, I noticed on the reverse, what looked like a scratch through the C and A in AMERICA. It also had something above an L in Dollar.

I was going to send it back shortly after I received it, but I never got around to it. I did a little research over the weekend and found an example of Struck Through Thread. The picture looked a lot like what was on my ASE. I still don't know what is running over the C and A in America. I'm not an error expert, and would appreciate any comments.

Unfortunately this was the best picture I was able to take.



2004-ASE,-Possible-Struck-Through-Thread?
Pillar of the Community
livingdinasaur's Avatar
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2007  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingdinasaur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spider5689, is the coin encased? If so, it "might" be in the plastic, rather than the coin. Far-fetched, but anything is possible.
Dick
Pillar of the Community
Spider5689's Avatar
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2007  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spider5689 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, the coin isn't encased. I removed it for the picture.
Pillar of the Community
coppercoins's Avatar
United States
7629 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2007  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a minor struck through. I think you have it right.
Pillar of the Community
Amazon99's Avatar
United States
2443 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2007  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Amazon99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with coppercoins.
Pillar of the Community
Spider5689's Avatar
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2007  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spider5689 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is a Struck Through, does it have any value?
Pillar of the Community
foundinrolls's Avatar
United States
3507 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2007  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also concur. It is likely a strike through error of the miniscule kind:-)...It is very minor and some would say it takes away from the value on a proof edition of that coin.

It's not supposed to happen so it technically is a minor error but unless it was a huge strike through error on a proof it doesn't add to the coin.

Thanks,
Bill
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 895Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Forums