Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
300,000 items to help build your collection! Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsCoin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1916t German East Africa 20 Heller

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 2,196Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
halfabustisbetter's Avatar
United States
1984 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2007  2:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add halfabustisbetter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Any help as to type, grade, and value would be appreciated--these things are very hard to grade! Thanks--HABIB


1916t-German-East-Africa-20-Heller

1916t-German-East-Africa-20-Heller
Pillar of the Community
tights24's Avatar
United States
2254 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2007  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tights24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no idea what an uncirculated example looks like, so that doesn't help........Hmmm, maybe F-12 since all lettering is readable? Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I'm trying to finish up with work. Hopefully I'm within +/- twenty points...
Pillar of the Community
Jaobler's Avatar
United States
6443 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2007  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi HABIB,

If I try to apply US grading standards this coin probably won't make VG. The rims are worn into the fields in places. There also appear to be a couple craters on the obverse; could be corrosion, damage, or planchet flaws.

At a guess, I'd give it a G-06. Do you know what metal it is made from? It doesn't look much like silver.
Pillar of the Community
halfabustisbetter's Avatar
United States
1984 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2007  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfabustisbetter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't exactly know how the grading scale is applied to these coins. This was an 'emergency coinage.' I may be thinking of another series, but I seem to remember reading some were minted from melted down cannons and other armaments. I am trying to learn as much as can about them, I haven't seen any in TPG slabs to see how they might be commercially graded.
Pillar of the Community
snowman's Avatar
United States
1841 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2007  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add snowman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the coin type is an B obverse and B reverse. I'd grade it Fine by standards in the SCWC because the D and R look a little flat. Value would be $6.00 F and $10.00 VF.

Oh yeah - it's made of copper.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 2,196Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Forums