Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. 300,000 items to help build your collection! Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsSpecializing in Modern Numismatics Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Counterfeit 1878 Pattern Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,221Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
CoinHuntingDrew's Avatar
United States
4932 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2015  8:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNITED-ST...AOSwNphWbLio


At least so I think it is a counterfeit.
Pillar of the Community
Broken-Coin's Avatar
United States
1812 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2015  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. I've seen this type of "coin" before and may be a real pattern piece, although I wouldn't know the value of said piece.
Bedrock of the Community
sel_69l's Avatar
Australia
21792 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2015  01:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why would anyone want to take even a small risk and start this one off at $0.99 with such a rare item, even if genuine?

I would need to know a lot about this type of pattern if genuine, to be able to have a buying interest. My lack of specialist knowledge holds me back.

Unfortunately, I can't take it to someone with specialist knowledge to advise me.
Seller feedback looks OK, but I would investigate further. Other items for sale from this seller do not show any numismatic expertise. I would like to know where this seller got this pattern from, to prove provenance.
Big dollars here.
Edited by sel_69l
12/13/2015 01:18 am
Pillar of the Community
Broken-Coin's Avatar
United States
1812 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2015  03:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin sold for just under $4,000.00..
I will let others compare this to the posters link..



Counterfeit-1878-Pattern-Coin

Counterfeit-1878-Pattern-Coin
Pillar of the Community
Broken-Coin's Avatar
United States
1812 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2015  03:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photos of ebay pattern...



Counterfeit-1878-Pattern-Coin

Counterfeit-1878-Pattern-Coin


*** I say Fake ***
Edited by Broken-Coin
12/13/2015 03:34 am
Bedrock of the Community
sel_69l's Avatar
Australia
21792 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2015  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Using the mouse wheel to roll to and fro between the images confirms why I was uneasy in the first place.

Broken-Coin: Thankyou for the easily placed images.

CHD: Thankyou for starting this thread.

I now feel VERY dissapointed for the buyer.
Not good.
Edited by sel_69l
12/13/2015 07:13 am
Pillar of the Community
Coinfusion's Avatar
United States
500 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2015  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfusion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Drew...thanks
Forum Dad
Learn More...
bobby131313's Avatar
United States
24233 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2015  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reported.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,221Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Forums